University students built an electric car that can go from 0-100 km/h in under a second

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In a nutshell: Every September, the Guinness Book of World Records sits in on a little drag race between college students. The seat is reserved because these mostly untelevised races are known for pushing the absolute limits of tiny electric cars, and frequently, a team makes acceleration history.

Applied sciences students from ETH Zurich and Lucerne University have broken the world record for acceleration in an electric car. The University of Stuttgart held the previous record, set last year when it sent its car screaming down the track, going from zero to 100 km/h (62.15 mph) in 1.461 of a second. This week, the students from Zurich crushed that showing with a time of just under one second (0.956 of a second) and a distance of 12.3 meters.

The students are Academic Motorsports Club Zurich (AMZ) members and spent a year building the car they named "Mythen." The team suffered several setbacks and had to spend every minute of their free time tuning and swapping components. All their hard work paid off as driver Kate Maggetti set the world acceleration record for electric vehicles in front of Guinness judges on a test track in Duebendorf, Switzerland.

"Working on the project in addition to my studies was very intense. But even so, it was a lot of fun working with other students to continually produce new solutions and put into practice what we learned in class. And, of course, it is an absolutely unique experience to be involved in a world record," said AMZ head Yann Bernard.

Despite all its sponsor decals, Mythen looks more like a go-cart than a race car, but that is intentional. To break the world record, the team needed to make a chassis small and light enough that their 240-kilowatt motors could propel it at incredible speed.

The team built and optimized all Mythen's components from scratch, including the PCBs, chassis, and battery. The chassis was formed from carbon and aluminum, and the car only weighs 140 kilos (309 pounds). The drivetrain consists of four-wheel hub motors running at a total of 326 horsepower.

Of course, all the horsepower in the world does you no good if you can't transfer that power to the ground. Aerodynamics was one of the most challenging aspects of Mythen's design.

"But power isn't the only thing that matters when it comes to setting an acceleration record – effectively transferring that power to the ground is also key," said AMZ's head of aerodynamics, Dario Messerli. "The ground effect alone practically doubles the contact force."

Since spoilers and wings only work above certain speeds, the AMZ team devised aerodynamics under the car that effectively suck it to the track right off the line. The students' solution created nearly doubled the downward force as a comparable car.

The students do not expect to hold on to the record for long. The event is held every September, with teams learning more from the year prior. The AMZ team has already held the record twice – once in 2014 and again in 2016. The Swiss students expect their rivals from the University of Stuttgart to put on a stronger showing next year. So they must work just as hard to maintain their hard-fought record.

Permalink to story.

I bet it wouldn't be under 1 second if I was driving it. They picked a small person to help get this record lol

2.8 gForce - though it would be more - may peak more though

Suppose reverse crash into a wall is much much higher

Wouldn't want your suction to fail

Pathetic.

What purpose does this really serve?? Except massage the ego of some rich fat cat who'd buy one..

How about those smart students try to make an electric car more affordable?? Now that's something worth reporting about and really useful to 100% of the people!

Pathetic.

What purpose does this really serve?? Except massage the ego of some rich fat cat who'd buy one..

How about those smart students try to make an electric car more affordable?? Now that's something worth reporting about and really useful to 100% of the people!
It is a students project, they have fun while improving their engineering skills. They have all the rest of their life to be practical. :)

Pathetic.

How dare people have some fun pushing technological limits, eh? Sounds more like jealousy to me.

And I'd much rather a fun article like this once in a while than clickbait or otherwise...

I wondered if they could improve the times by monitoring for wheel slip and reducing the downforce when it's no longer needed. Also, could they use a guidance system so there's less steering adjustment by the driver - each tweak of the steering wheel must affect the overall time and I'd guess it's incredibly difficult for anyone to stay in control under that sort of acceleration.

2.8 gForce - though it would be more - may peak more though

Suppose reverse crash into a wall is much much higher

Wouldn't want your suction to fail

Acceleration due to gravity is 22mph per second. To get to 62 in under 1 second you need about 3G

And then spend an hour recharging it.
A few things really need to happen to make EV's "more acceptable" for the mass.
1. Price needs to come down (WITHOUT government credits)
2. Range needs to go up
3 Recharging to "full" needs to take less than 15 minutes
4 Recharging stations need to be as common as gas stations

2. Range needs to go up
Spot on.

2. Range needs to go up
It's nearly 25% of new UK car sales (including PHEVs) so I'd say they must be pretty acceptable. The "mass" have never bought new cars anyway.

It's nearly 25% of new UK car sales (including PHEVs) so I'd say they must be pretty acceptable. The "mass" have never bought new cars anyway.
Europe/England is a perfect market for EV's. The problem in the USA is how spread out we are. Europe & England's land mass, fits within the continental USA with a bit of room to spare. I know once I traveled to Mt. Rushmore and the trip from Sioux Falls to Mt. Rushmore seemed like a forever drive with very little in between. Texas, if you hit the border with New Mexico, then drive to say Nashville TN, just that drive across Texas, can take a couple days.

Europe/England is a perfect market for EV's. The problem in the USA is how spread out we are. Europe & England's land mass, fits within the continental USA with a bit of room to spare. I know once I traveled to Mt. Rushmore and the trip from Sioux Falls to Mt. Rushmore seemed like a forever drive with very little in between. Texas, if you hit the border with New Mexico, then drive to say Nashville TN, just that drive across Texas, can take a couple days.
However when we talk about the "masses". The average car journey length in the US is around 6 miles compared to 8 in the UK.

Four times I've driven to the south of france from London - about 1,000km. I would have been very happy to stop 5 times for 20 minutes to recharge on the way.

I bet it wouldn't be under 1 second if I was driving it. They picked a small person to help get this record lol
That's why jockeys are always the smallest people around. You want as little weight as possible. This is not cheating, it's by design. You could remove the driver completely, but that would become an autonomous car, different category.

Can't wait to see the video. Not the one I just watched though
But that IS the video. You speed up to 100Kph, (in less than a second), and then stop. There are no laps, no circuit, no race. Just a quick jolt and then celebrate after Guiness confirms the record. The preparation is way longer than the actual attempt.

But that IS the video. You speed up to 100Kph, (in less than a second), and then stop. There are no laps, no circuit, no race. Just a quick jolt and then celebrate after Guiness confirms the record. The preparation is way longer than the actual attempt.
Not the one I want to see

Back