Can bootable USB help protect against viruses?

pitcher12k

My main question (hopefully easier to understand) is, can I use a bootable USB drive (I used Yumi) to surf suspicious websites and prevent my computer from getting viruses/malware?

I am using Windows 10, so my thought is that if I run Ubuntu it should not infect my computer, since it is booting from the USB drive and it is a different OS. Is that correct? I tried searching for a while about this but didn't find any answers, and the internet in general is less helpful :/

Extra Information:
What I am trying to do is find a way to browse the internet (more specifically, use sites like traffic exchanges and bitcoin faucets) without getting a virus or anything on my computer. This has happened once before so I am trying to be MUCH more careful now. Currently I have Sandboxie installed and run Chrome with uBlock Origin and Ghostery, and I delete the contents of the sandbox regularly. However, I don't feel completely safe with this (maybe that is a warning sign?) and would like to find a more robust way to prevent viruses from getting to my computer. I've tried running Virtual Box, but after upgrading to Windows 10 (I had 7 before) it no longer works :/

Thanks for the help!!

Back