Can connect to any site except Facebook and I can't even ping it in CMD

I can't connect to Facebook. I could this morning, but suddenly I can't anymore. It tries to load, and then says "The connection has timed out". I use Firefox. It.s my personal computer, not business or public.

I also can't connect with Internet Explorer. However, I can connect with Firefox, or IE from other computer (Other computer also has other internet provider).

I can connect to any other site on the web, like I am right now.

When I go to run, CMD, and type "ping www.facebook.com" it also says "Request timed out", and 4 packets lost. When I ping it, I get "star.c10r.facebook.com [31.13.64.65]". When I search for that IP I get "Facebook Ireland Ltd".

When I do same ping on my other computer (and other internet provider) he pings "star.c10r.facebook.com [179.60.192.3]" and pings correctly. From that other computer I also can't ping first IP (31.13...), but from first computer (on which I can't go to Facebook site) I can ping second ping (179...) correctly, but I need to type it in manually. When I just type "ping www.facebook.com" it gives me that first IP that doesn't work (31...).

I doubt it's malware or similar, because this morning I could go to Facebook, and I didn't turn off my computer today. Also I hardly used Internet today because I was writing some paper in Word.

Why does it happen, and why do I get different IP's when I type "ping www.facebook.com"?

Any idea how to fix it?

Good Job - - you're on the right approach - -
I can connect to any other site on the web, like I am right now.

When I go to run, CMD, and type "ping www.facebook.com" it also says
"Request timed out", and 4 packets lost.

1) When I ping it, I get "star.c10r.facebook.com [31.13.64.65]".
When I search for that IP I get "Facebook Ireland Ltd".

2) When I do same ping on my other computer (and other internet provider)
he pings "star.c10r.facebook.com [179.60.192.3]" and pings correctly.

As you note that another computer works and yours does not, it indicts your system and/or your browser(s).

From that other computer I also can't ping first IP (31.13.64.65), but from first computer (on which I can't go to Facebook site) I can ping second ping (179.60.192.3) correctly, but I need to type it in manually. When I just type "ping www.facebook.com" it gives me that first IP that doesn't work (31.13.64.65).

Why does it happen, and why do I get different IP's when I type "ping www.facebook.com"?
Again, well done - - you have the error in front of you
  • ping by ipaddress works
  • ping by domain name fails
This means the DNS resolution from name -> ip address is bogus
On system (1) and (2), get the ipconfig /all >tcpConfig.txt and compare
Code:
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
-----
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 209.18.47.61

*IF* both systems are using the same DNS addresses, then suspect
  • addons in the browsers
  • the etc\hosts file
  • some virus
*OTHERWISE*, determine why two systems have different DNS addresses

Update: the problem seems to have repaired itself. I restarted the computer, but nothing happened. It was late so I turned off computer and went to bed. In the morning everything was working again - I could access Facebook without any problem.

Back