Can I overclock my pre-built?

Simple answer is no: that Amazon link states the PC is using a H310 chipset motherboard , which doesn't offer CPU or memory overclocking options. That chipset was designed to be used in machines where costs need to kept down and adjustability isn't needed (e.g. office PCs).

The same is true with the CPU and memory you have: the i5-9400F isn't designed to be overclocked (or not easily, at least) as you can't override it's internal clock settings, even if it was put into a motherboard that could do it. The RAM is also rated to a speed (2400 MHz) that's lower than what the CPU is rated for (2666 MHz).

What you can overclock is the graphics card - you can use a program called MSI Afterburner to do this:

There are lots of guides and videos on using Afterburner; have a read of MSI's own advice:

Simple answer is no: that Amazon link states the PC is using a H310 chipset motherboard , which doesn't offer CPU or memory overclocking options. That chipset was designed to be used in machines where costs need to kept down and adjustability isn't needed (e.g. office PCs).

The same is true with the CPU and memory you have: the i5-9400F isn't designed to be overclocked (or not easily, at least) as you can't override it's internal clock settings, even if it was put into a motherboard that could do it. The RAM is also rated to a speed (2400 MHz) that's lower than what the CPU is rated for (2666 MHz).

What you can overclock is the graphics card - you can use a program called MSI Afterburner to do this:

There are lots of guides and videos on using Afterburner; have a read of MSI's own advice:

Thanks tons, I'll look into it!

Back