Can not log into Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

LyleCarlson

Hi there, I am trying to fix my friends computer. Whenever he logs in it will automatically log him out. I tried the other accounts with the same result. hoes anyone know how to resolve this?

Thanks in advance,

Lyle C

Hi Lyle,

Have you tried Safe Mode (press F5 or F8 before the initial Windows boot screen and choose Safe Mode)?

Are there any messages on screen as to why you cannot login?

Cheers,

Taff.

Yes I did try to log on in Safe Mode, with the same result.

And there are no messages, it starts to login then just as the background is starting to load up it logs out.

Thanks,

Lyle C

Hmm,

Try safe Mode again, type Administrator as user name, leave password field empty?

Can you tell us which version of Windows your friend has?

OK, so this pc is windows XP home edition with service pack 3 installed

When I boot into safe mode and log in as Administrator with the password it does the exact same thing.
starting the log in process then automatically logs you out to the log in screen.
all accounts do this

Thanks,

Lyle C.

Ok Lyle, I've not seen one like this since XP pre-SP1.

Have you tried Last Known Good?

Is this a recent install of XP? Was it from an original disc?

I think this will require booting from CD to make some changes, not sure what CD yet though - maybe one of the regulars here will jump in with something.

I installed another HDD and installed windows on it and I am working throught the 8 steps right now, so far no viruses on the virus scan.

I tried last known good and that didn't help either.

I had read somewhere that I would have to do a repair install from the Windows CD but I was hoping to find some other help here.

Thanks,

Lyle C

Lyle,

There is a chance it could be repaired using a special PE or Linux boot CD or by booting into the XP Recovery Console. I'm unsure of exactly where the problem is, so I cannot give you specific details.

A repair install may work - again, it depends on where the original problem is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back