Can only boot in Safe mode, then get beeps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I urgently need help on this problem. My PC won't boot. Instead it first displays the Windows XP splash screen and then shows a message stating, "We apologize.....but Windows did not start successfully....". Then it gives me the option to start under various alternative states: safe mode, use of last successful settings, etc. I tried each of those, but I only was able to boot in Safe mode with constant beeps.

My System
• Asus P4P800E Deluxe motherboard (circa 5/2004)
• 3 GB RAM (3 X 1GB Kingston sticks)
• Windows XP Pro (auto updated)
• AMI Bios
• Socket 478, P4 CPU
• Antec TruePower Quattro 850 PSU

I have 2 hard drives,
• C: & D: (partitioned) – 250 GB total
• E: - 300GB

and 2 CD/DVD drives:
• Sony CD/DVD player (master)
• Pioneer CD/DVD burner (slave)

In addition I have the following PCI cards:
• Nvidia GeForce 7800 Graphics
• Sound Blaster X-Fi sound
• Hauppauge TV tuner

BEEP Alarm sounded

When my system last worked "properly" I was having problems with my DVD burner. I replaced it with the current Pioneer. When I reassembled everything, I got a steady, continuous beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, etc.

I went to my other system and researched beep alarms and determined :confused: that I had a power problem. I then rechecked all my power supply connections.

Windows would not boot
After I rechecked all my power connections, and after finding that the beeps continued, I attempted some trouble-shooting (perhaps right down through my foot!). I detached all of the CD, floppy and DVD drives and powered up. At that point Windows would not boot. I reattached the same drives, checked the power connections, powered up again, and still no success.

BEEPs continued in Safe Mode
I was able to reboot in Safe mode, but, when I did, the beeps started up again.

Now, I'm lost and need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back