Can this rescue data from an IDE hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren192

I have a 40gb western digital IDE hard drive that I need data from but am proving rubbish at getting it set up in a PC.

I wonder for speed if this would help - use a USB 2.0 to IDE & SATA Cable connected to my PC. Something such as this:

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/B000Q5YW76/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=560798&s=electronics[/ame]

If I connect the drive up to my PC or laptop can I simply access it as another drive and pull off the files I need or is this too simplistic a view? Thoughts and tips welcomed.

That is a great (and often used) approach to try recover data from a questionable drive . A couple tips:
1. If the data is very important to you suggest the FIRST thing you do before attempting any recovery is a sector-by-sector copy of the the drive using Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost (personally, i like Acronis)
2. This way not matter what happens during recovery attempts you can always restore the disk image to current state
3. You might want to then run
=> chkdsk just to check/report if any disk errors (but not fix/change anything)
=> chkdsk /r which both checks for errors (including bad sectors) and fixes errors (including bad sectors)

Yes your link is no good, but an external USB enclosure that matches your IDE interface hard drive will allow you to get the files off of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back