Upgrading Graphics Card and SSD

Will35

Hello,
I've recently received an old lenovo thinkcentre e73. It has a good motherboard (as far as I know) and an Intel core i5, but no graphics card and an SSD. I am waiting for post Christmas sales to get the case and GPU to upgrade it, however I wanted to replace the HDD with an SSD very soon. How would I do this, would I need to reinstall Windows (I don't have the verification key), how would I transfer everything over, and would it be compatible with my PC? Would I need a new PSU for the graphics card? Sorry I'm a bit of a noob at this, I will gladly post any requestes specs, but I'm not sure what to post right now. First time upgrading a PC, any help is much appreciated.
SSD: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-A400-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B01N0TQPQB/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?keywords=kingston+ssd&qid=1576327604&sr=8-2&th=1&psc=1
GPU: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07PHY5K6L/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Last edited:
If it's an SFF (small form factor) case, then you will struggle to find a graphics card that will fit - this is because the slots for expansion cards are half the height/width (depending on how you look at the case) of a 'normal' PC case. It's unlikely your chosen graphics card will fit, so you're going to have to consider something like the following:

Such cards don't draw much power, so you wouldn't need to upgrade the PSU (whereas with your selected Radeon, you almost certainly would have to).

In the case of replacing the HDD with an SSD, if there is a spare SATA port, you could plug the SSD into that and then follow a guide like this one:

Or buy a Samsung SSD, and use the software that comes with it to do the transfer.

If it's an SFF (small form factor) case, then you will struggle to find a graphics card that will fit - this is because the slots for expansion cards are half the height/width (depending on how you look at the case) of a 'normal' PC case. It's unlikely your chosen graphics card will fit, so you're going to have to consider something like the following:

Such cards don't draw much power, so you wouldn't need to upgrade the PSU (whereas with your selected Radeon, you almost certainly would have to).

In the case of replacing the HDD with an SSD, if there is a spare SATA port, you could plug the SSD into that and then follow a guide like this one:

Or buy a Samsung SSD, and use the software that comes with it to do the transfer.
Thanks for the swift reply, it's a mid tower case, the nzxt h510. I will certainly be upgrading the PSU at some point, so I might as well now. Would you be able to advise me on what a SATA port looks like?

Back