Can you review this HP Pavilion G6-1009ea

SirDigby

TechSpot Elite
Hey guys,
I need a cheap laptop that shouldn't be used for much more than MS Office and casual gaming, for games like Dawn of War S1, Dawn of War S2, World of Warcraft and other such games and RTSs, could anyone check it out for me? I've had a look but i'd like more opinions.

Link ---> PC World ---> HP Pavilion G6-1009ea - Red

Dual Core Processer 2.3GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250
4GB RAM
500GB HDD

Weak graphics card.

My thoughts exactly, the 4250 is not suited for any kind of serious gaming. Not that I haven't seen it run a game - just that the mighty lag took over completely.

As for laptops in general: if the GPU is of the ATi/AMD brand, then it's usually the x2xx (like 4250), x3xx or sometimes even x1xx. Those are not really great at all.

If one would like a laptop "a bit more" suitable for gaming, I would suggest a laptop with a GPU spanning from x4xx, x5xx to x6xx. Although note that laptops with a x6xx-series AMD GPU (like the 5650) are of course less common. And oftenmost a bit more expensive :eek: .

In my experiences TF2 is more demanding than people realise. This laptop would likely struggle to even run it at lowest settings smoothly.

The problem is the budget is too low for what you want of it. If you want to game with it, you need to be spending £500-600 for something half decent. Thats unfortunately how it is, you aren't going to get anything decent wherever you look.

If it was me, I'd consider a second-hand good condition gaming laptop like a Dell XPS or Alienware, off of eBay or something.

Even those models a couple of years old will tear apart a budget laptop like those your considering.

Back