Cannot boot Vista Business in any mode: blue screen at loading

Status
Not open for further replies.

clark123

Hello,
I have a laptop Lenovo T61 and I cannot boot Windows Vista Business in any mode. After choosing one boot mode, I can see the loading progress bar, but after a while I always get a blue screen with stop code: 0x0000007E
This problem started after the following story:

- One week ago on the 28/11/2009, while browsing with Firefox I quickly got infected with 'Security Tool' virus and also some other malicious script which would sometimes redirect to ask.com while browsing.
- I was able to remove the security tool virus (and other malwares) by booting in safe mode and running Spybot. The computer at this point worked fine, but the problem of redirection to ask.com still persisted.
- Meanwhile Vista asked to install new security updates. I accepted to reboot to complete the installation. Before rebooting, Windows was "configuring the update 2 of 3" and I got a blue screen.
- Now I am not even able to get to the login screen because when windows is loading and the progress bar is visible, I soon get the usual blue screen with stop code: 0x0000007E

My attempt to solving the problem were:
1) booting in any available mode
2) using Vista Recovery DVD "Startup Repair"
3) using Vista Recovery DVD "System Restore"
4) using Vista Recovery DVD "Command prompt" and running chkdsk /r

Nothing worked:
* I dont have Restore Points nor backups
* chkdsk just found just some errors while cheking indexes (stage 2)
* "Startup Repair" recognizes that I am unable to boot windows but it says it cannot fix automatically the error. In the report it says something like this:

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2

Pleas Help!
Thanks.

ok...reinstalling is probably what I am going to do, because I am getting frustrated enough.

However, is it possible that there is simply *NO* way of tweaking something from the Command Prompt to restore some files, or to run some recovery tools, or to uninstall those updates that screwed it all up?

Is it possible to boot windows from a DVD and log in to my account afterward? Just to bypass the HD boot procedure with some sort of "Safe Mode" from CD??? Dunno this exists at all but I just want to figure out if reinstalling is really the only solution left.
Thanks!

I have Vista and theres no way to bypass the HD boot procedure with "safe mode" from a cd. You can do regular safe mode, but if you can't get it to boot, then your best bet is to do a fresh install.

I see...on the other hand a fresh reinstall is always the very last choice.

Before giving up I would like to try to uninstall the security-updates that windows installed before creating the mess (lately there has been quite a rumor around the net about this microsoft issue).

I entered the command prompt with the Vista Recovery DVD and typed:

pkgmgr /m:c:\windows\servicing\packages
pkgmgr /up:package_302_for_KB976098~31BF3856AD364E35~x86~~6.0.1.1.mum

...at this point nothing seems to happen and echo %errorlevel% return sometimes 0 sometimes 1. In any case, the package files are still there in the directory "packages".

How is the correct way to do uninstall the updates from the command prompt?

Only safe way from outside Windows, is by a Repair install (not clean in this example)
Doing a Repair will remove all Windows Security Updates back to the time of the Windows Media that you are using

can I do a "repair install" using the vista recovery disc?
I have a laptop with a preinstalled version of Vista Business out-of-the-box. I downloaded and burnt the recovery disk from the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back