Cannot connect to the Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,
I cannot connect to the interent from my pc.
I can connect to my remote access thats using the same broadband modem,and I can continue to work remote access, but when I try to log into the internet at home it doesn't work.

Please help:dead:

Are you connecting to a router or is it comming directly from the modem?

What OS are you using?

Wired or Wireless connection?

Assuming you are using Windows XP or Vista, open your browser (assuming IE7) go to Tools>Internet Options>Connections>LAN Settings

Make sure that you are not connecting to a specific proxy set from a school or work connection.

I'm using windows xp home and I went in and did as you reccomended, and still no luck.

I logged into AOL easily, but can't connect to any other internet.

Could my webroot spysweeper be blocking my connection?

Also, when I reboot my system, it takes forever to be able to open, could that be affecting it?

What i don't understand is that, when I open my msn messenger the msn live box opens up and I can use that to see msn.

Sorry, just a little overwhelmed and feeling like kicking my computer.

Here's some steps to collect detailed specs for us so we can try to help

Click here to download Everest Home. At top of Everest window
  • Click File->Preferences
    • Check English
    • Then (still under Preferences) click Report and uncheck Include Debug Information
    • Close Preferences window
  • Click Reports->Report Wizard. Get a Custom Report report in plain text. Check these items
    • Computer
    • Network
  • Attach the report file to a TechSpot post. When you create your TechSpot post, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see it among your icons, you need to click the TechSpot Go Advanced button towards bottom of window)

i can actually use my aol explorer, but internet explorer will not open at all.
do i need to try and update internet explorer or just leave it alone since i can use the aol version?

i can actually use my aol explorer, but internet explorer will not open at all.
do i need to try and update internet explorer or just leave it alone since i can use the aol version?
Oh. I may not understood exactly what you were saying earlier

If
1. Your AOL browser works fine for you on the internet and
2. By using the AOL browser, you are NOT also using AOL dial-up connections

then ignore instructions in previous post.

You could just AOL browser but better to get IE browser working as well (whether to avoid the nuisance of what AOL puts in their browser or just have both to verify the other still works - like now)
but internet explorer will not open at all.
Do you mean when you click on Internet Explorer the windows won;t even open (e.g. it crashes)
Or, you can't open a web page in Internet Explorer?

If the latter, from the top of the IE window
=> click Help (or you just see a question mark) then About Internet Explorer and tell us the version
=> click Tools (or you may just see a round cog wheel) and make sure Work Offline is unchecked

I cannot open up internet explorer at all.

What I'm not understanding is why will the AOL explorer open up but the IE7 won't?

The main reason I'm concerned about this, is when I try and update my microft information, it uses the IE to get the information and since it doesn't work I can't get the updates. I tried to work on it this weekend, but no luck.............uuuggghhh!!

I recently worked on a system with similar issues. There was a virus/malware affecting Internet Explorer. The slow startup of your system may also be an indication of infections. I would suggest running malware scans. What software are you using to protect your system? I believe there is a thread on this forum with an 8-step process for cleaning your system, but I don't know the liink. Can someone help out?

So, with XP IE7 isn't functioning BUT AOL is.

Go into Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs and uninstall IE7.

Reboot.

Then try using IE6 to get to MS Update and re-download and Install IE7.

Failing that, you probanly have other major issues but you can insert your XP disk and run Start, sfc /scannow.

Failing that, look at the Spyware section here for Prelim Instructions for bad guy removal.

And start a new post there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back