Cannot connect to the Internet

Hurriken

I just installed a new hard drive to my computer. With my old hard drive I can connect just fine, I'm using it now. But when I install the new drive and add XP Pro I cannot connect. My Network connections say that I am connected but there is no Local area connection like I see with this hard drive. I spoke to my ISP and they show everything working fine and think I have the wrong drivers...from what I have read I don't need drivers. I installed Service pack 3 and a hotfix (I read on windows site that some folks had problems with SP2).

Can anyone help me?

1. if you dont have netowrk drivers how did you install SP 3 (or had you downloaded it before)
2. Network connections dont show unless you have the network adapters installed.
3. look in device manger (start, run, "devmgmt.msc") and see if you have any yellow exclaimation marks.
4. you ISP only checks that they can ping your modem which had nothing to do with the computer.

1. if you dont have netowrk drivers how did you install SP 3 (or had you downloaded it before)
I Went back to the old HD and downloaded SP3 onto my external drive. Then I reconnected the new HD and up loaded it.
2. Network connections dont show unless you have the network adapters installed.
I'll take a closer look at this tomorrow.
3. look in device manger (start, run, "devmgmt.msc") and see if you have any yellow exclaimation marks.
I'll try this tomorrow.
4. you ISP only checks that they can ping your modem which had nothing to do with the computer.
Yes but since this HD works I think the problem has to be on my end somehow. I think your right about network adapters but I'm not sure what I need to do to fix it.

see post#2, item (3). Even with everything physically correct, including a cable to your router, nothing will occur until the NIC drivers are installed

From what I've read:
If I were to install a new internal network adapter card in my computer when I powered it on the system would recognize new hardware and set it up (software). For some reason when I change the HD it does not recognize the network adapter, or it thinks it's OK so it does not set up the software. What I can't figure out is how do I get it to do that and where does the software come from? Is it part of WinXP or did it come with the adapter?

I am going to try again in a few minutes and I will let you know.

the software came with the computer or adapter. Its reaching too far back for most people to try to find that for an old pc. all hardware is not "plug and play" some hardware (your nic in this case) requires driver files that are not installed in the system by default. you can check with your system manufacturer and they will probably have a download on their website for the driver you need.

Yes, There was an exclamation point next to Network drivers. I checked my other HD and the Drivers were "Realtek" and not "Arris" like my modem. I installed them anyway and it is working now and it only took 3 days!

Now the real work starts. If you don't mind could we leave this thread open in case I have any other questions regarding this hard drive? I eventually want to turn the old HD into a second back-up storage or slave(I think that is what it is called) and I will need help figuring that out too.

BTW, I am on the new HD now.

@hurriken

Actually, if you have other problems/questions on a new topic, you'd be best to open a new thread with a new descriptive Title. You'll get people responding who can help with HD issues who might not bother to look at this current old that says its about internet issues

Back