Cannot find network driver

logic951

I have been looking everywhere for my network/ethernet driver. Gateway doesnt have it when i specifically put in my model, so please help.

Model- GT5242e

also after checking my system, and checking out the rest of the hardware, I also need these other drivers

1. Other- pci bridge device
2. PCI simple communications controller
3. SM Bus Controller

First, find the device info

right click My Computer-> Manage-->device manager
scroll to Network Adapters
click on the [+] in front of it
ignore the 1394 device

what else shows up? Report precisely the names AND
note the RED or YELLOW flags on each

What version of Windows are you running?

Then to report Device Manager details try this
  • Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

THanks for that info.. but i also need the output from my instructions in my last post before i can do anything more to help :)

Attached is all that was there, there were 3 yellow question marks, all of which I already posted earlier, about the SM bus, and the PCI, and the communications.

1. Other- pci bridge device
2. PCI simple communications controller
3. SM Bus Controller

these were the only issues, as well as me not being able to connect to the internet.

My ethernet is integrated, its not a card.

Attachments

• Info.txt
    401 bytes · Views: 2
What was the original OS on this machine? (just curious)

fyi...
This is your Data Modem Fax device
Code:
PCI Simple Communications Controller	PCI\VEN_14F1&DEV_2F40&SUBSYS_200014F1&REV_00\4&DC268A3&0&3880

This is your internal card reader
SM Bus Controller
Code:
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0264&SUBSYS_60071509&REV_A2\3&2411E6FE&0&51

I'm going to have to figure out the 3rd device.Will have to get back to you. All i can be sure at the moment is it's an nVidia chip
Other PCI Bridge Device
Code:
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0269&SUBSYS_60071509&REV_A1\3&2411E6FE&0&A0

p.s. Re: that 3rd yet unknown device

Unless either
a) it turns out to being your ethernet controller OR
b) It's a PCI bridge your ethernet controller is actually connected to...

there's no other indication Windows is detecting your ethernet controller. It might have failed? You might also check BIOS to make sure it's not possibly DISABLED in BIOS

yea dude, i dont use a fax machine. and can you link me to the driver for the card reader, and if i remember correctly I had an nvidia nforce controller or adaptor.

or it could be talkin about because recently my internal video card went out, and i purchased a new one.

regardless, my main objective is to get online with this computer.

if i remember correctly I had an nvidia nforce controller or adaptor. <snip>

Yep. That's more consistent with what I'm seeing. That 3rd device is a nVidia bus controller for video

1) You can go into BIOS and DISABLE onboard video, if an option

2) But like i said then, there's no indication that Windows detects an ethernet controller. Check in BIOS possibly... Otherwise i can only suggest you get a USB ethernet controller addon

re: the card reader

Will have to have a look see if i can find a driver.. but would have to get back to you

sorry not better news for your ethernet :(

and i dont remember what the original OS was, I know it was XP.

but i dont know if it was a 64bit after seeing that the processor was a 64bit processor. I dont know if the processor being 64bit determines that the OS is 64 or 32

and there is no option to disable the card, also, I wanna see if it was just a crazy virus that was causing my computer not to boot normally, how would i be able to return to the old video card. cause im not entirely convinced my actual card went out. Would i just install the driver for the original card, and uninstall the new one?

Generate a dxdiag report for me please (and tell me if 32 of 64 bit Windows you installed) and i'll have to get back to you with other info later (like probably sometime tomorrow)
  • click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

it showed up x86 dude

and i will do the report now.

yo, i remember, the original OS is windows XP Media Center Edition

Well, Gateway driver support for your model really sucks! :(

Looks like Gateway removed most drivers for your machine (don't know why)... And i'm not 100% sure about the following.. is my guess / speculation

I see your machine specs are here
> Note specs indicate the nVidia 6100 chipset
> I'm thinking maybe your problem with both graphics and network chip is they BOTH connect to the that nVidia bridge device we found that's not working.
> Sooo..... Windows can't "see" the graphics chip OR the ethernet chip until the BRIDGE chip is working
/* edit */
Which is why the networking and graphics card hardware detection is failing

I'd look for the chipset drivers and we can give that a shot... Still give me dxdiag and we'll go from there when i next have the chance to get back to the thread :)

first off, I removed the new video card i purchased, and installed the drivers for the original intergrated card, and was able to get that card to work, so it does "see" the graphics.

Secondly, i talked to my friend who is an IT and he knows about my computer, and he said i needed the nvidia nforce drivers, but he didnt specify which set. so i am going to download all of them until i get my ethernet going.

first off, I removed the new video card i purchased, and installed the drivers for the original intergrated card, and was able to get that card to work, so it does "see" the graphics.

Secondly, i talked to my friend who is an IT and he knows about my computer, and he said i needed the nvidia nforce drivers, but he didnt specify which set. so i am going to download all of them until i get my ethernet going.
re: graphics card: OK...

I think the nForce drivers are the drivers for the board (i.e. the chipset drivers). Also, if you have problems locating them, dunno but but maybe if you can beg, borrow (tho not steal :D) a usb net adapter you might be able to let nVidia scan your computer and find the drivers for you

g'luck

/* edit */
btw.. i checked and your gateway m/b does in fact use a nvidia ethernet controller.. so that BRIDGE might still be the cause for that ethernet not detected. but in anycase, the right nvidia drivers for the board should hopefully solve all the problems

yea dude, the nforce were the correct drivers, all though there were a million of them that i had to go through, luckily i found the right one on the 2nd try :) so im good to go now. the only thing that still has a ? is the communications controller which is that stupid fax machine bs. but other than that, my comp runs like a champ now!

thanks for the help bro!

WOOO HOOO! Glad you were able to find the right nForce chipset drivers!!! :grinthumb Good job

If you have a minute, and remember which download worked for you, pls update the thread with the download link (or something similar). It might help someone finding this thread in the future

In any case, glad to hear the good news :)

Back