Cannot install device drivers!

I have a Dell Inspirion 1420 that originally ran Vista. My daughter dropped it, while running, of course, and crashed the hard drive. A friend replaced it with one he had and loaded Windows 7 on it. Now the CDROM won't work. I bought an external CD/DVD. It won't work. I can use USB thumb drives and I have an external My Book attached but those are the only 2 things that work. I updated Windows and that didn't help. It won't let me update the current drivers as it says that the most current are already running. I tried to download Daemon tools and mount a virtual drive (thinking I could use a different computer to create disk images and then run my programs that way) to no avail. I can access the internet (obviously) but any type of drive just WON'T work at all and I'm getting VERY frustrated!!!! BTW...in Device Manager I do not have any of the yellow signs with !. HELP

Filters are device driver "add-on" parts. A single corrupt CD/DVD "class" filter driver can affect each and every CD/DVD drive on the machine (because Windows applies a "class" filter for class=CDROM to each and every CD/DVD drive connected)

Let me take a quick look just in case might apply

Download/run Filter Driver Load Order tool
> Select any one of your CD/DVD drives (any one will do because they all share the same class filters)
> Click the Clipboard button at bottom of tool window
> Then paste the result into your next post

devfilter.gif

----------------------------------------------------
Filter Driver Load Order
----------------------------------------------------

Upper Class Filter: PartMgr
Device Object: WD My Book 1130 USB Device
Lower Filter Drivers: No Lower Filter Drivers specified for this device

Driver Name: partmgr.sys
File Location: c:\windows\system32\drivers
File Description: Partition Management Driver