Cannot log in to Windows Live Messenger ...

emcee47

Here we go again in Dummies' Corner!
Every time I try and sign in on Windows Live, I get the message that they can't sign me at the time and the service is 'currently unavailable'. I get an error code of 80070005.
The only thing that I can think of that would have any bearing on this is that I recently failed to act on the fact that my anti-virus had expired and was subjected to a malware attack which I think I have now got on top of after uploading Microsoft Security Essentials.
However, I have been told that a malware attack can leave this legacy. I was also told that running the trial version of ESET NOD32 would sort it. It didn't, despite scanning for a total of 16hrs.!
If no-one has any ideas on here, I think I'm at the stage of totally changing my email address.

Live Messenger is being discontinued

So says eweek.com:

Windows Live Messenger will be retired as Microsoft moves contact lists into Skype’s chat feature as part of its Windows 8 roll out.

Technology giant and Skype parent Microsoft is integrating its chat service, Windows Live Messenger with the VoIP service, according to a Nov. 6 blog post from Skype, a move that signals the essential retirement of the world’s most popular instant messaging service. By updating to Skype, Messenger users can instant message and video call their Messenger friends, wrote Microsoft’s president of the Skype division Tony Bates. Microsoft bought Skype last year for $8.5 billion.

see also this

Well, thanks Jobeard. So I guess from that that my email address will change anyway if all this is happening...? From a layman's point of view it really has been a bit too confusing - I didn't know half the time whether I was still with Messenger, Hotmail, Windows Live, Microsoft Essentials or whatever other name they seemed to dream up in the MS boardroom of a Monday morning. Let's just hope that whatever comes next will be straightforward, understandable, simple to use, well-supported .....in fact everything that it hasn't been over recent years.
Either way, thanks again - much appreciated.

Well, thanks again jobeard. Totally understand now what they're trying to do - but why the hell can't Microsoft tell us all themselves, given how much they charge for their products? This isn't the first time I've started using something of theirs and then found out afterwards that it doesn't work - viz-a-viz Zune with my Nokia Lumia 800 as just one case. They haven't even been able to answer me on their own website...and have simply abandoned the thread altogether now. Wonderful Customer Service - especially given that there's starting to be many more choices on the market now!

Back