Cannot log on to the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leamon

I am unable to log on to the internet. I am using Windows Vista. I have a HP Pavilion dv 6000. AMD Athlon (tm) 64X2 Dual Core Processor TK-53. Error Message is: Internet Explorer Cannot Display WebPage.

what about the connectivity? can you do an ipconfig /all and check your connection.
how are you connected to the internet anyway? router, cable or wireless, 3g, phone line?

I am connect through ethernet cable to a router. My I use my cable tv provider for my internet. I have pinged my router and my modem...all is fine....

Internet Explorer Cannot Display WebPage.

It's not clear whether you can't access "this" webpage or "any" webpage. That's what the connectivity question means. It 'sounds' like you have a connection but can't bring up a particular web page- is that right?

I am connect through ethernet cable to a router. My I use my cable tv provider for my internet. I have pinged my router and my modem...all is fine....

You've "pinged" your router and modem which means you have connectivity between
Computer <===> Router <===> Modem

Next question is connectivity to your ISP
1) Does your modem indicate it's connected to your internet provider? Check its status lights. Lights steady ON or blinking irregularly are good. Look for any lights OFF or blinking in a regular pattern. Read the label of each status light to see what it is

2) If appears to be an ISP connection issue 1st try power-cycling your modem (ie. turn it off. what about 30 seconds turn it back on) Give it a minute to self-test and come back up. How are the lights now?

you took the words right out of my mouth :)
the answers to this questions will probably show you why it does not work....

Thanks guys for the help..I finally downgraded from Vista to XP Pro...something I am more familiar with...I purchased a new router...but my laptop still cannot connect to the net. I am using an ethernet cord connected directly to the laptop. still nothing. cannot bring up a webpage at all...but my other two desktops are working like a charm...any suggestions...

A router and a modem are two different things. As mentioned, CALL the ISP and have them check the modem. You can have a good router but a bad modem- the modem is usually the property of the ISP.

Thanks guys for the help..I finally downgraded from Vista to XP Pro...something I am more familiar with...I purchased a new router...but my laptop still cannot connect to the net. I am using an ethernet cord connected directly to the laptop. still nothing. cannot bring up a webpage at all...but my other two desktops are working like a charm...any suggestions...

When you say "your other two desktops work like a charm" i assume you mean all 3 connect to the same router? and that router to your modem? But only the one computer has the problem??

In such case, i'd check the IP address assignment on the problem computer
=> Make sure the computer is configured for DHCP (assuming you want dynamic IP assignment by your router)
=> Check if the computer's assigned an IP address yet.
====> If it's 0.0.0.0 is a problem.
====> If it starts 169.254.x.x then it IS configured for DCHP but Windows is still waiting for an IP assignment from your router

Start->Run, Copy/Paste the following into the Run box
Code:
[B]cmd /c ipconfig /all >Desktop\ipconfig.txt [/B]
Look at the file created on your desktop for the info or just attach it to your post if you'd like us to review it as well

I tried to run this...cmd /c ipconfig /all >Desktop\ipconfig.txt... but nothing happened. I did however connect directly to the modem and windows tried to repair my ip address. How does one get the router to assign IP address for the computer that is still not working? seems I have none.

I tried to run this...cmd /c ipconfig /all >Desktop\ipconfig.txt... but nothing happened. I did however connect directly to the modem and windows tried to repair my ip address. How does one get the router to assign IP address for the computer that is still not working? seems I have none.

You wont see much. All that will happen is a command prompt window will open and then close. Then if you look on your desktop you should see the file called ipconfig.txt.
Alternatively if it actually isn’t working for you then you can do it manually
Start -- run -- cmd -- ipconfig /all
And then copy n paste the output into a text document.

If your router is set up as DHCP it should give out an ip address to any device connecting to the network, unless you have some sort of mac address filtering enabled or a subnet mask that doesn’t provide you with many hosts per subnet, meaning it has no more IP's to allocate.
You can check to see if your router is performing dhcp by looking at your router's configuration, although since you say you have two other pc's working fine you should know if dhcp is enabled. If your other two pc's got an ip without you configuring them the dhcp is enabled on the router.

oh and i just realised that the ipconfig / all output will tell you if dhcp is enabled or not. Forgot about that..

I finally got the router to assign an IP address to my laptop. but I am still having trouble signing on to internet explorer. I have it diagnosing the problem .

Thanks guys...I finally got the router to assign an IP address...now we rocking and a rolling....Peace out

Oh good that it's working for you now.
I was just in the middle of typing out a reply when got the email saying someone replied to the thread.

Was it simply that you didnt have dhcp enabled so your machine didnt have an IP ?

yes and it was working fine. I went to work and my genius son somehow lost the entire work..I am starting from scratch again. Anyone know where I can get a good download for broadcom 802.11 a/b/g/ LAN?

yes and it was working fine. I went to work and my genius son somehow lost the entire work..I am starting from scratch again. Anyone know where I can get a good download for broadcom 802.11 a/b/g/ LAN?

:confused:

Are you looking for the LAN adapter driver for your computer / need to reinstall the driver???

Or do you just need to reconfigure the network settings on your computer?
=> I'll assume the latter and
=> I'll assume your router is still configured as a DHCP server (i.e. it will assign an IP address assuming your computer is configured correctly)

In which, case i completely forgot i had come across this link in the past. (Just stumbled across it again today when cleaning up My Documents folder!) You should find it helpful in setting up your computer.

fyi.. If you don't really use or need File Sharing between your LAN computers you might want to leave the File Share settings OFF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back