Cannot network Patch Port to Router

Hi All,

The Issue:
OK so the issue...I think...is probably one with a very simple solution. I would like to use a 12 switch patch port to act as a hub with a TalkTalk router to network some PC's together. However I really am unsure in what way to do this.

Tried and Tested:
We are using TalkTalk business fibre line so have the OpenReach Box plugged into a Typical TalkTalk router.
I also have a Cat 5e 12 port Patch Panel yet I have no idea how to wire this to network the computers together.

First thing I tried was to plug the router into port one of the patch panel and then used ports 2 onwards to wire into the PC's. That was a no go. I have also tried pairing the pairs I.e. Internet line into port 1 and then cable out from port 7 on the patch panel. In all honestly I have no idea what im doing here so any advice would be greatful.

We do also have access to a Cisco Systems Switching Port - Catalyst 2930 series.
As I have no idea what the Patch Panel is called I have attached an internet photo of what it looks like.

Thanks in Advance

Ronan

Attachments

• panel.jpg
    panel.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 5
an internet photo of what it looks like
That's a professional panel.
The backside gets ethernet Cat 5 wires pulled to each work station and terminated in those rooms or cubes to a
cat5 wall plate. The wall plate is then connected to the device(s) in each room or cube.
upload_2015-9-16_15-59-38.jpeg

The front side of the panel is wired to the panel (pg 14 of the manual)

The switch has an UPLINK and it goes to the Router.

Hi jo beard,

sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for your response. So if im correct I would need to get some netowkring cable and wire it into the back of the panel which can then be plugged into the Cisco Switching Port?

Back