Cannot open my Hard disk partition F

Status
Not open for further replies.

hambal

I cannot open my drive partition i recently installed win xp and run anti virus on all of Hard rives i have three HD 1 is for windows and rest two are for data

my one partiion F: will not open when i double click , it takes time and then ask me to format, i even tried accessing it on command prompt, it says Data Error Cyclical Redudancy Error, i also tried running anti virus but nothing happens, rest of my system works fine but this parttion which has my important stuff cannot be be opend... please Help!!

my friend the drive must have got corrupt
in most cases formatting solves the problem
but when i had this issue windows automatically detected bad clusters on it and got rid of it
i suggest you check for bad clusters too and then fix it
there are many softwares available..consult a good techspert
this way you can save most Data like i did

First, let me confirm.
- You can see the disks listed in Disk Managemenet and you see each disk partition drive letter assigned as well?
- Only drive letter F has this problem?

Then i agree your very first thing to dovolumeDefinitely agree that your first order of business is Start->Run, enter chkdsk F: /r

This command will scan your F: volume looking for formatting errors / corruptions. It also tests the volume for bad sectors. Chkdsk attempts to fix all errors. Bad sectors are taken out of service.

When you enter the command, it will probably tell you it will be run on reboot. So simply reboot and you should see it start runnnig before Windows comesup. Important: chkdsk displays its progress while running. I will take 5 passes on the drive to complete. Some passes CAN BE VERY SLoooooow especially if it is scanning a large volume. Assume chkdsk will need several hours to run (let's say 6-8 to be safe) so don't be alarmed or impatient if it appears to hang. Chances are it's still running and doing its jobs

I advise before chkdsk.

Flash drives can sometimes take the wrong (already in use drive letter) so..

1. Remove any USB Flash and or external drives if any, remove any cd disks in the CD drive and any floppy disk if any.

2. Reboot to Safe Mode and begin Chkdsk from there.

Mike

There are many free partition viewing/manipulating programs for download. I agree with mklynn F: might easily not be the drive you think it is, but a partition viewer will make certain of that.

As a matter of fact, i'd started writing a general post/guide on using detection/partition management and recover tools as part of the troubleshooting process.

I posted a copy of my draft version for someone [post=695234] click here to go there[/post]

Also look another through next coupla posts in that thread as i "fill in the blanks" for some info not yet in the draft.

i ran shkdsk but it only does 2 passes and completes and thewindows closes,nothing more happens no reboot nothing...i check my HDits still not working, one thing more my Partion F: was label NEWHD but now it says Local HD F: i did not change the name it was like thiswhen i re installed my windows, wheni re boot the system it doesnt scan the disk windowsstart normal as in any other PC.. any more ideas

in Disk Managent the partition is healthy and status is active but it shows 100% free space and in the file system rest are NTFS but f: is nothing.

This drive has two partition E and F , E is perfectly normal but F is the problem

hen i agree your very first thing to dovolumeDefinitely agree that your first order of business is Start->Run, enter chkdsk F: /r
See what my instructions were above
1) If only 2 passes you didn't indidate the /r option. chkdsk with no options is also read-only. No changes are made to the disk
2) Note in my example i indicate drive F:. By default (if not indicated) it scans C:

i wrote " chkdsk f: /r " as u told mebut same 2 passes 1 of 5 and 2 of 5 thatsit its automatically closes :s

if so, then it might be because (as you're telling me) F: isn't formatted (thinking about it some passes for example to check file indexes makes no sense if it thinks the volume isn't formatted so can have no file indexes to check!)

In Disk Management
- Click View->Bottom->Disk List (let's just get text version)
- Then can you capture a screen shot and attach to next post to make sure i see everything you're seeing in Disk management

You could also try doing the disk check from within explorer, by right clicking on the drive, properties, then somewhere in there (not on a pc right now) you can start a disk check, make sure to check the 2 boxes that will be in that dialog. It will probably say some crap about how it can't do them all right now and ask you if you want to scan on restart. Say yes, then reboot.

If it fails during that. The next thing to do is to get the drive manufacturer's utility out to check the disk. CRCs aren't a good sign, I'd want to verify that disk doesn't have any physical problems and/or bad sectors. If its got bad sectors I'd RMA the drive immediately.

Doesn't display a file system, so everything isn't fine.

If you've got data you need to recover on it you'll have to use a partition or file rescue software.

If you don't have data on it, right click it, and format. Then it will be usable.

Also, you changed the bottom view to the wrong thing!

it should be Disk List! I think is best to understand your Disk to Volume mapping before making changes. And do you understand each volume listed then? you created them?

Computer management does not show the file system for F partition.
you might need to format it with Ntfs file system.

do not make a quick format
just make a permanent format
you might not recover some data
but at least you will recover a partition

hambal

How bout prove to me you are even looking at the correct partition. PLEASE DO THE BELOW!

You never said you did my post #5.

I will request you to do it now with these steps.

Remove all USB Flash drives, unplug any external drives including USB printers that have internal Memory.

Copy for pasting the below
DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES

Rt Click My Computer-Properties-Advanced-Environment Variables, then at bottom under System Variables click new then paste the above into Variable name:

Then give it a value of 1. Then click OK!

Then do the same with the below, with a value of 1 also.
DEVMGR_SHOW_DETAILS

Click OK at bottom to save out of the edit!

Then boot to Safe Mode only.

Open Device manager and at top click View-Show hidden devices.

Then open Disk drives Rom drives
Look closely and rt click and uninstall any ghosted (grayed out) (Dim) items. Any grayed out no Bold items.

Then open CD/DVD Rom drives do same.

Then IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

Then Imaging devices

Then Storage Volumes (for sure)

Then USB Serial Bus controllers

Once removed reboot once more into Safe Mode and check the partition. You may be and I hope surprised. Even if not suprised I will be happy!:)

Mike

Also, you changed the bottom view to the wrong thing!

it should be Disk List! I think is best to understand your Disk to Volume mapping before making changes. And do you understand each volume listed then? you created them?

Yes I do understand .. you can see in the attachment there are three HD the one which is 160 GB has two partitions E n F, F has issues

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 14
hambal

How bout prove to me you are even looking at the correct partition. PLEASE DO THE BELOW!

...Remove all USB Flash drives, unplug any external drives including USB printers that have internal Memory.

Copy for pasting the below
DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES

Rt Click My Computer-Properties-Advanced-Environment Variables, then at bottom under System Variables click new then paste the above into Variable name:

Then give it a value of 1. Then click OK!

Then do the same with the below, with a value of 1 also.
DEVMGR_SHOW_DETAILS

Click OK at bottom to save out of the edit!

Then boot to Safe Mode only.

Open Device manager and at top click View-Show hidden devices.

Then open Disk drives Rom drives
Look closely and rt click and uninstall any ghosted (grayed out) (Dim) items. Any grayed out no Bold items.

I did all the abovethe result is the same :S i have to save my data i cannot format

I can see that now. What make/model drive is it?

If you don't care about the lost data you can go ahead and reformat the volume.

If you do care, there may be data recovery options. But would have to wait till i (or someone else) can get back to you with that info

/* EDIT */
Don't know if u said before (didn't look now that i;m typing) but was it NTFS formatted before? Or what format?

Try the free version to see if there is recoverable data. Does not fix except paid for.

If it finds recoverable data then decide if you want to buy. If it finds no data then no reason to buy anyway.

It works great I have paid version.

http://www.partition-recovery.com/

Mike

it was NTFS before, Make is Western Digital 160GB Sata... Data is important..

i will try the recovery software and see ..

In a situation as yours would recommend the very first thing you do before attempting any recovery or repair is create an image copy of your hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back