Cannot plug A/C adapter in, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinklady

Hello all,

My daughter has a HP laptop and she cannot use it as it wont turn on. I thought it was the a/c adapter but it is not (other daughter has the same machine). I think the problem is where the adapter plugs into on the laptop. Can this be replaced or is her laptop broken completely?

Please help, she is driving me mad x

Which laptop model is it (get the info from the label on the bottom, not the bezel or plastic near the screen.
The adapter plug can be repaired by a skilled technician... but the cost is often as high as $175... the cost of a new motherboard. The part itself is sold by HP for about $40 from their "support" center, but should really only be about $6.00 on eBay. The trick is the soldering, which require skill and a lot of experience.
When we know your model numbers from the bottom sticker, we can perhaps be of more help.
It would also be helpful to know the city near where you live that might have technicians.

Sorry it is a HP G6031EA Notebook PC. I live in the UK (north wales)

The problem is not the adapter it is the socket that the adapter plugs into which is attached to the computer along the right hand side.

thank you again for your help.

i believe the power socket on your computer (that the adapter plug fits into) is what raybay was referring to.

It's, unfortunately, a common problem. The socket (internally) is soldered to the computer's motherboard. Over time, due to the laptop's movement (let alone if it's ever been dropped by mistake) this soldering breaks which, in turn, breaks the electrical continuity.

Fixing it is often done (at least in the US) by any number of computer repair shops for about $125-150 USD including a 1 year warranty (from what i've read. never had one repaired myself)

Is your G6031... out of warranty?
Try eBay for G6000 series Socket. HP has a "socket board" which includes audio and other components on a separate installable board.
HP will sell you the socket part for the power adapter... it is very small... about 7/8 inch by 7/8 by 7/8... but again the trick is the solder and the expert technician required... as well as a cold solder iron.

You might also check with HP to see if there was a service bulletin put out for it... as it is a very common problem... or what they will do to get it fixed...

Usually if HP has a large number of reports of a hardware problem, they will work out a way to make the users happy... at a low or reasonable price...

Try to get it fixed under warranty... because they will replace the system board for that problem if still warrantied.

Thank you LookinAround and raybay for your reply. I have contacted a local computer shop and they are pricing the job for me. I will, however, contact HP and see if there is anything that can be done by them. The computer is approximately 18 months old so it is out of warranty but i will contact them anyway.

Thanks once again for your time and advice x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back