Cannot renew IP Address, Unable to contact DHCP Server

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just moved into a new apartment and my neighbor is letting me share her wifi internet. The password she gave me works, but when i connect to the internet it says there is limited or no connectivity. When I try to repair it says it cannot renew my IP address. I tried opening the cmd window and putting in ipconfig/renew, but it says that there is an error and it is anable to contact the DHCP Server and the request has timed out. The internet everywhere else works just fine however (I am at work right now and it works, and I went to an internet cafe and used it there without a problem as well.

Does anybody have any ideas of how to fix this problem? I would really appreciate it!

1. Check the wifi /router end of the connection is configured to be a DHCP server
2. Beyond that there can be many variables. I think you're best approach:
=== > Backup the wifi / router settngs (most devices allow you to backup their config to your hard drive. Check the user manual)
===> Remove all the restrictions that were added via the config (e.g encryption, MAC address screening, etc.
3. Verify you and neighbors computer all connect and work when no restrictions.
4. Add back restrictions one-at-a-time and retest the computers (yours and neighbors) until they all work and all restrictions have been applied

Not to sound like an *****, but how exactly do I do all this with the dhcp server? I am at my neighbors and we are completely stuck. To make it harder, I am abroad and she has vista in french (mines xp, english)

Thanks!

What kind of router brand/model?, you could set a static ip address in the range that would work.. Look at you neighbors with ipconfig and set yours in the same range.. for example if hers is 192.168.1.100 you can set yours to 192.168.1.200, netmask to 255.255.255.0 and gateway to the same address as the router and you can also get that with ipconfig/all.. you may also need to manually set dns

Well I tried putting in the same info as her, but just switching the last digits (from 10 to 20), but it still doesnt work. Now it says I am connected, but I cant get anything to come up and I cannot ping any sites... If I plug in directly with the LAN it works though... Hence the messages.

I use windows XP and my neighbor has Vista. It says its connected in the Network Connections box as well as the little icon in the icon tray. This is a step up I supposed, before it would just say that there was limited or no connection. It also sends packets but doesnt receive anything...

Did you check ALL of your settings by running ipconfig/all. If you can't get anything to come up there are other setting besides ip address that you need. You need net mask, default gateway and DNS settings.
example:
IP address 192.168.1.20
Net Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (same as the router)
DNS Servers: 151.164.1.1

If DHCP is not working and not giving you these settings automatically you can hard code in the network setttings. Hard coding would be the easiest thing I could recommend. Trying to get the DHCP to work correctly but would be a little more complicated for you.

I tried putting in everything I could find from her computer by doing ipconfig (ip address, net mask, gateway, and both dns servers). With that I could get the network connection to say "connected" instead of "limited or no connectivity", but I am still unable to pull up websites or ping any sites...
I ended up trying everything I could think of last night at her place for about two hours, but I copied down some of the IP config results so I could retry it later:
dhcp enabled: yes
autoconfig enabled: yes
autoconfig enabled: yes
autoconfig ip address: 192.168.0.10
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
default gateway: 192.168.0.1

I dont know if that helps at all. Thanks so much for the advice...

If all your settings match your neighbors (except ip address) try pinging the router which appears to be 192.168.0.1. If you can ping he router you should be able to go to the router configuration from your pc by typing that ip in the address bar of your browser. It will ask for user and password which should be in the manual for the router.. If you dont have the manual you can probably download it from the net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back