Cannot set the screen resolution

compused

Hiya,

We have an old PC running Windows XP and a NEC AccuSync LDC 72VM Monitor. The computer is very old and its clocking and cooling system has gone haywire. My partner has been slowly checking through everything and copying or deleting them, so that we can get rid of the PC completely. Recently the resolution has reset itself so that it is only showing the lowest (4 bits) 640 - 480 pixels. We have been into Control Panel, Display, Settings and tried to reset the resolution back to 1024 - 768 but it just goes back to the smaller 640 - 480 pixels.

The trouble is my partner never made a back up of the computer when he first got it, so we cannot go to a previous date.

The icons are enormous and the pictures distorted, so any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Compused

Download and burn a livcd of Linux - such as Ubuntu or opensuse GNU. When you boot from that CD, you will be able to access anything on your old hard drive, and copy it to USB attachment.

If the problem is the monitor itself or the video card/chip it will not improve the visuals, but if is a completely screwed-up video driver, it will be fine. Then you are good to junk the PC.

But before you do.....is it actually the monitor ? check that by substitution. Is the power supply to blame? Any old PC of the same type can be picked up at a boot sale and the power supply will work fine. Many companies throw out old PC's with perfectly good components. Ask around.

Our PC makes a horrible noise every time we switch it on because the clocking and cooling has gone haywire. It also crashes every time we go on to the Internet, so it's not worth keeping. It was built by someone who didn't install all the files to do with a particular programme. We are more interested in fixing the resolution so that the icons are normal.

Sorry, you intend to junk the PC, but want to fix the resolution? What would be the point of that?

At the moment it is so difficult to read anything in order to be able to decide whether to delete or keep it, as the icons and print is enormous. The computer is past it's use by date but we may keep the monitor as that is still good.

two things to try - first and most simple, start the PC in safe mode (F8 at boot time).

Second a linux live CD as I already said. Both methods avoid the onboard video drivers.

Back