Cannot Start Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi i attempted to use a backup recovery disc from my desktop computer through norton ghost 2003 on my laptop. The process was completed successfully and said hit enter to restart. This was done and i got a black screen with a flashing underscore in the top left. I restarted the laptop and got a screen saying
We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows
Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked) Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

Seconds until Windows starts: 30

Now i select last known good configuration and i get the black screen again.
If i select start windows normally i get the same black screen
If i select safe mode i get a bunch of writing saying
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers .......etc
i get a full screen of this writing and i cant do anything.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
kolby

Hi i attempted to use a backup recovery disc from my desktop computer through norton ghost 2003 on my laptop
??

Now because you obviously don't know. This will not work!
The reason is because the Motherboard/Cpu chipset is different (like AMD, or Pentium or Celeron) Anyway that's why (plus also all the other Hardware is different, anyway)

Not only that, but you must have a seperate Windows setup disc (or image) for each computer due to Windows licensing.

Thanks for that.... i thought it was worth a shot lol.

Ok so now i have a laptop that has nothing on it...
If i get a copy of windows xp and install it through boot will it restore my system
obviously it will be wiped.... that was my intention.
im not so brainy when it comes to computers....
Spose i could have just reformatted the harddrive?
anyway a solution would be salubrious!

Thanks
Kolby

ok, but you didn't say exactly what you did to fix it

Anyway it's fixed :) , thanks for the update :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back