Cannot uninstall mcafee firewall plus

Status
Not open for further replies.

cannykins

Good evening, I have been having issues with McAfee. It came with the computer and I used it until the trail version ended (McAfee firewall plus). I can't afford to buy an antivirus/firewall so I had planned to uninstall it, and thought I did, but it's still here and because of it I can't install another firewall. I need this addressed soon because I have malware in my system and I would like to have that firewall installed. I can't go onto the McAfee site because the malware keeps redirecting the site. I've been trying to follow the 8 steps but it's hard to do so when I can barely keep these attacks at bay. Also I'd like to add I can't get rid of the "verify your membership" pop up thing when my computer starts (I mean permanently, I have to use the task manager, and that gets old.) Anyways, when I go to uninstall is says "Could not open INSTALL.LOG file." I'll also note I've had this for about two or three years, probably longer, if that helps. Is there something I can do?

I have also used ccleaner, it does not help.

I just d/l'd it from the link and it extracts and runs infact running now it going to have a real hard time to fin Mcafee on my pc. Try running safemode. U did d/l the MCPR.exe ?

I've been trying to follow the 8 steps but it's hard to do so when I can barely keep these attacks at bay.
You need to get a working, up to date AV on the system. Here are two choices that are free:
Choose one, download to flash drive. Do not install on your system yet.

Boot into Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key continually right after the logo loads until safe Mode comes up. Once you are there Go to File> choose Work Offline.

Go to Start> Run> type in 'msconfig' without quotes> Selective Startup> Startup tab> UNCHECK everything EXCEPT the touchpad process if you have a laptop- this will include ALL McAfee entries> Apply> OK

Connect the flash drive and run (install) the new AV on your computer from the flash drive.

Reboot the computer back into Safe Mode again.
If you can put the the cleaning programs on a flash drive, you should be able to install them offline.
When install is finished, boot into Normal Mode and begin with the cleaning process:
Now try starting with the first step, followed by each of the programs:
https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

The most important thing for you to do first get a working AV, then clean up the system. If it is badly infected with malware, it's not going to allow you to do anything with the security programs. That's a feature of malware> it prevents updating or downloading of security.

Attach the logs from the 3 programs here.

Uninstalling MCAfee right now is not an issue you should be concerned with y this point..

I do not agree about AVG. I would rather one of the other programs I mentioned. Guess I pretty much go this all day too The difference? I don't get paid for it.

And for the record, I specifically didn't tell this user to do the usual check for updates for the new AV, because the malware will prevent it. So far, I don't see the problem solved, so we take it step by step and see where we can go. 6 out of 10 post are from you and here is no progress- so best we change the path.

And it appears my last post didnt go through. I guess I'll repost - I never said that removing McAfee was my main priority, it's just something I wanted to deal with while I'm trying to solve this problem. I have been using AntiVira, both normal and safe. Now I have a new problem, nothing won't run, as with that McAfee removal file, it wouldn't run, well I tried to run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and it won't run as well, I've tried system restore but that's not working either.

Can you tell us what is happening when "nothing will run"? "It's not working"? A message? Nothing happens? What?

Let me try to help you with understanding a firewall. First, yes, it is best to have one. But that doesn't mean it will replace an antivirus program or spyware/adware programs. In your first post, it seems that this was what you thought and removing the McAfee firewall and replacing it with another firewall would stop the problem. It will not. You already have malware on the system. We need to try and remove that.

You do have a firewall if you have Windows XP or Vista. You can access it through the Security Center in the Control Panel and set it to 'on'. Disabling the McAfee process on the Startup menu as I explained using the msconfig utility needs to be done- it's still running. Firewalls don't "expire" like an antivirus program as far a content. AV need regular update to keep current, firewalls do not.

A firewall listens and "guards" posts, which are like doors into your system. Malware can also disable a firewall.

About "verify your membership"- can you give me any information about this? Do you know what it's for? How did it start appearing? After a download?

Please give us some system information:
Computer Specifications:
Manufacturer:
Model:
Type: Desktop or Notebook:
CPU:
Installed RAM:
Operating System: Windows XP? Home or Pro? Vista? Which version.?
If you go to the Control Pane> System> look on the system Information tab>> you will find this info there.
This helps us in guiding you to the 'path' for certain features as well as giving us knowledge of the system itself.

I'm very much aware of what a firewall does, I never said I thought it would replace a antivirus program, i thought it would be best to install a firewall, now that I found out what would be a good alternative for my situation, which is why I wanted to get mcafee taken care of.

As for the "nothing is working" bit, I basically double click, the pop up asks if I want to run it, I click yes, and it's nothing from there.

The verifying membership started appearing a while back after the free trail time expired. I do know what it's for, it basically wants me to register and buy the full product. I tried to uninstall it as it was no use to me since it expired, and in hopes of getting rid of the messages (when I start my computer it pops up. I also have an issue with a "window's installer" running, I'm not sure how that started though. I think after I got my printer, but that's for another time.) I did this because it didn't give me any other alternative, it's basically a buy this or I won't stop harassing you type deal I would think.

system information:
Home Edition Version 2002
Manufacturer: Dell
Model: Dell Dimension DIM4700 Intell(R)
Type: Desktop
CPU: Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00 GHz
Installed RAM: 2.99 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM
Operating System: Windows XP

Do you need anymore info?

dude just run as i said and if combofix does not get it well It's not one I've seen and combofix has been around for years.
U have got to run them in the order i gave and what one misses the other will get and avg will update from directory if the gui opens and if not find the downloads folder located in c/ docs and setting, all users, application data, avg, downloads..
I know virus removal i promise you man combofix will get everything running so u can scan with AVG (also includes a rootkit remover) which finds stuff that EVERY OTHER A/V Leaves on there.... Run them as I stated in my First post yesterday, dude you'll be fix easy. If u need me to uplaod them to a link tell me and will.......Not beaing an *** just do as I say and u'll be golden.. IF Combofix will run u fixed...

Hello cannykins

EDIT: The below looks complex but is not 1 step at a time

Mcafee can be just as stouborn as Norton to remove.

Download and run Autoruns http://live.sysinternals.com/autoruns.exe

Once running click everything tab

Slowly and carefully go down the 3rd colum Publisher (Most are Microsoft)
Look for Mcafee and Network Associates when found rt click that line and delete it

Once they are all gone REBOOT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Then download and run each of the tools below very straight forward. These cover several versions and products but Mcafee uses a lot of the same locations in different products. May get some errors but that is OK!

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MPFCleanupTool.exe
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/VSCleanupTool.exe
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MPSCleanupTool.exe
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Then drag mouse copy for pasting, the entire content of the box below watch the slider and go all the way to bottom.

Code:
cd\
attrib -h -s -r McAfee*.* /d /s
attrib -h -s -r AvSynMgr*.* /d /s
attrib -h -s -r McShield*.* /d /s
attrib -h -s -r NaiFiltr*.* /d /s 
attrib -h -s -r VirusScan*.* /d /s
attrib -h -s -r AlogServ*.* /d /s
attrib -h -s -r Avconsole*.* /d /s
attrib -h -s -r Vshwin32*.* /d /s
attrib -h -s -r Avsmcpa*.* /d /s
attrib -h -s -r naifsrec*.* /d /s
attrib -h -s -r mckrnl*.* /d /s
attrib -h -s -r mcscan32*.* /d /s
attrib -h -s -r mcutil*.* /d /s
attrib -h -s -r vshield*.* /d /s
attrib -h -s -r vshinit*.* /d /s
attrib -h -s -r vsstat*.* /d /s
attrib -h -s -r webscanx*.* /d /s
attrib -h -s -r scan32*.* /d /s
del /f /s /q mcafee*.*
del /f /s /q AvSynMgr*.*
del /f /s /q McShield*.*
del /f /s /q NaiFiltr*.* 
del /f /s /q VirusScan*.*
del /f /s /q AlogServ*.*
del /f /s /q Avconsole*.*
del /f /s /q Vshwin32*.*
del /f /s /q Avsmcpa*.*
del /f /s /q naifsrec*.*
del /f /s /q mckrnl*.*
del /f /s /q mcscan32*.*
del /f /s /q mcutil*.*
del /f /s /q vshield*.*
del /f /s /q vshinit*.* 
del /f /s /q vsstat*.*
del /f /s /q webscanx*.*
del /f /s /q scan32*.*
exit
exit

Then open a cmd prompt and paste to the black screen it should close on its on.

Now run CCleaner Temp twice and Registry until it comes up clean. If you don't have CCleaner see below.

Should be clean of Mcafee now.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now lets go after your real problem:

The TechSpot 8 steps: https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

Do all skip no step (do not install another virus scanner as you already have one).

Post a HJT log now!

Most importantly update MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSptware!

Before you scan with SuperAntiSpyWare do the below:

SuperAntispyware config

After installed double-click the icon on your desktop to run it.

It asks to update the program definitions, click Yes.

Click the Preferences button.

Then Scanning Control.

In Scanner Options make sure the following are checked:
1. Close browsers before scanning
2. Scan for tracking cookies
3. Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
4. Leave the others as they are.

In MalwareBytes after update but before running
Click settings and confirm all are Checked.

I repeat Update these 2 programs.

Run them and post their logs then a new HJT log.

Do this correctly and we will make a short job of this!

==============================
Special case where after installing MBAM and SAS they will not update or run.

Run this process only after you have installed MBAM and SAS and they will not update or run! They must be installed!!!!!!!

I have written a BFU script and a couple of batch files to:
1. Rip out Antivirus 2009, delete many other known bad files
2. Repair disabled Regedit, Taskmgr CMD etc.
3. Defaults the HOSTS file
4. Deeply cleans Temps both Windows and Internet
5. Renames MBAM and SAS (actually copies to this name so we still have the original name also) and puts Shortcuts on Desktop
Plus more.

To do this open the Attachment Fixit and download to desktop then Dbl click to Extract the Zip, it will create a Fixit folder on the Desktop (later when clean you may delete both of these).

Dbl Click the Fixit Folder to enter it. Dbl click only the Fixit.cmd it will run if any Virus/Malware or Firewall asks about it, all must be allowed answer any prompts.

It will reboot your computer when it finishes.

Once back to Desktop.

Run only the runmbam and sas shortcuts until issues fixed then you may go back to the original shortcuts.

Remember to update and do the below special settings before Scanning.
Then post the logs on each run repeat the run until the log says clean or finds something it can not fix! Begin with runmbam then repeat with sas.

Dbl click the runmbam icon.
When it opens do not scan first UPDATE then click settings and confirm all checked if not check them. The click Scaner Tab chose Full scan the confirm your windows drive is selected/checked then click start Scan.

SuperAntispyware (sas) config

Before clicking Scan, UPDATEthen click Preferences then Scanning Control.
Check all items except the 3rd item (Ignore System Restore......)
Click Close button to exit control center.
On main screen, Scan for Harmful Software click Scan your computer.
On the left check C:\Fixed Drive.
On the right, under Complete Scan, choose Perform Complete Scan.
Click Next to start the scan.

It will take while as it scans your computer.

After the scan, a summary box will popup. Click OK.
Make sure all in the white box has a check next to it, click Next.
It will quarantine what it found, and pop up a log file. Attach log file back to Thread.

If asked to reboot, click Yes. When back up repeat again until clean posting logs each time!

For Attachment see and get from post #3. https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic115811.html

Mike

DUDE ru kidding all it is is xp antivrus what like aw man just do what I said I am going to unsubscribe from this post, dude u should have had this done yesterday ap antivirs 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 and vistaantivrus r the most comman malware on the PLANET.. If ur not going to listen stop posting........

Before I am able to do anything else, I need to be able to run the programs on my computer, at the moment I'm stuck, I'll try what I can when I get time, just because I haven't gotten to it doesn't mean I'm not listening.

Mike, you're not in a chat room! No one is "dude" and 'u' is 'you'. 'r' is Are.

cannykins, I'm going to request help from one of our more advanced TechSpot helpers. I'm afraid you're being pulled in too many directions and none are working.

Thank you, any kind of help is appreciated. The sooner I get this fix the sooner I can finish my school work. So thank you for the help.

sorry mate.... Cannykins If u can not pull run anything in safeor normal mode including the batch files posted by someone earlyer I'd try extracting smitfaud to a folder from desktop then run smitfraud from folder.. Or just pull it and scan as a slave..

I have sent Private Message to three of our most experienced helpers. I have explained the circumstances and given this URL. I'm sure at least one of them will be here. Hang on.

Thanks for the message - this thread is a mess, what are we trying to accomplish? Are you looking to remove Mcafee or are you having problems with malware? I couldn't figure out where all of these suggestion are coming from without gathering any logs.

Remove Mcafee products
1. Click Start, Settings, Control Panel.
2. Double-click Add or Remove Programs.
3. Select the McAfee SecurityCenter product.
4. Click Remove and follow the steps provided.
5. Download the Mcafee removal tool from http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe
6. Click Save and save the file to your desktop
7. Make sure all McAfee windows are closed.
8. Double-click MCPR.exe to run the removal tool. (Vista users need right click and run as administrator)
9. Restart your computer after receiving the message CleanUp Successful.

----------------------------------------------

If it is still listed in add/remove programs then let me know and we can run a tool from microsoft to clean it up.

I am both having issues with malware and wanting to remove mcafee so I could install one of the free firewalls that was recommended. I was hoping I would get help for both since I couldn't find a decent forum to help me before now. At the moment I cannot install anything. When I double click the setup icon, it then asks if I would like to run this program, when I click run, it does nothing, I can't even use system restore at the moment. I need to get this fixed first before I can remove malware and remove mcafee. Else, anything I'm told to download and install will not be useful if I can't run or install it.

Yes I did the first part a while back, but I can't use the removal tool just yet until I'm able to run it.

Sounds like it has altered your security properties. Is the user account you are using registered as an administrator?

Try installing as an administrator. If you can then the
problem is the local security policy which by default does
not allow users to add programs.

Download to your Desktop this self-extracting ZIP archive FixPolicies.exe

• Double-click FixPolicies.exe
• Click the Install button on the bottom toolbar of the box that will open.
• The program will create a new Folder called FixPolicies
• Double-click to Open the new Folder, and then double-click the file named Fix_Policies.cmd
• A black box will briefly appear and then close. This will enable your Control Panel, Task Manager and stop any Administrative warnings.

===========================================

If this doesn't work, then we need to check the event viewer by going to control panel -> administrative tools -> event viewer -> post here event ID's and sources for any recent errors (not warnings or info) only errors

You are in such as mess you need to go back to post #16 and try to download the attachment there if it will not download then PM me your direct email if you want and I will send it by attachment that is if your email works.

Mike

I already looked at the event viewer and I there are only failures, no errors, but I will try to log on as an administrator and see if this will work.

Mike, as I have said before, I cannot run or install anything, I can download something as long as the page isn't redirected by the malware. Until I can actually run something, I can't do anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back