Cannot use printer with remote desktop

LakeyDaKidd

Hello all, I have a problem printing from a program that I connect to via remote desktop. The program is called accuterm 2k2. The program has a list of printers that are connected. The problem is this, the list of printers shows all printers that are connected to my computer execpt one which is the one I need to print to. From what I know if you use remote desktop you should be able to print out anything from the remote computer on my local printer. I don't know if it's a setting I'm missing in remote desktop or if its the printer driver< I don't know. Please help!!

By the way the local computer is xp pro service pack 3 and the remote computer is server 2003. When I connect to the program it goes directly to the program bypassing the login part I think there is a batch file was created to do this.

Do you have permission to use that shared/network printer? I am aware of ACCUTERM one of the clients I had supported uses it. Is that shared/network printer on your printer list on your system? Can you send a test page to it. Make sure you have the correct drivers installed on your system. So is this printer domain networked (shared) or local?

let's clarify 'remote'.

Any system on your local LAN can use Print/File Sharing and thus access your printer.

'RD' allows a much bigger audience.

If you right-click on Your printer ->Sharing, you can allow your subnet users access to your printer

Yes I do have permission to print to the printer, it's connected via usb directly to my computer. I can print to it just not with the program. The printer is in my list of printers and faxes. And we are in a workgroup no domain.

The printer is being shared to the other 4 computers on my local network. However the computer which this program is installed is in a different town. we use the program by connecting to it via remote desktop. Usually when you use remote desktop you have to log in then navigate to the program that you want. But the way they have it set up is they have a shortcut on their desktops and when they double click the shortcut it brings them directly into the program bypassing the login part.

ok; Two action items are needed.

1) in your router you need to PORT FORWARD 3389 UDP to your system

2) in the firewall of that system, you need to allow port 3389 UDP from any source ip address

for #1 to be effective, your system needs to have a consistent IP address,
which usually means you need to give it a static IP address

Back