Canon's new 5DS, 5DS R raise the bar with 50.6-megapixel full-frame sensors

Shawn Knight

Staff member

canon 5ds dslr camera megapixel digital camera image sensor high-resolution sensor full-frame canon 5ds canon 5ds r 5ds r

If you’re planning to purchase one of Canon’s two new DSLR cameras, you might want to set aside some extra cash for a larger memory card. The recently announced Canon EOS 5DS and 5DS R both feature 50.6-megapixel sensors that provide more resolution than any other full-frame DSLR in the world (a distinction previously enjoyed by Nikon’s D810 at 36.3-megapixels).

As additions to Canon’s 5D line, both cameras look and feel very similar to the popular 5D Mark III which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Each employ dual DIGIC 6 image processors for speedy image processing when needed and both use a 61-point autofocus system.

canon 5ds dslr camera megapixel digital camera image sensor high-resolution sensor full-frame canon 5ds canon 5ds r 5ds r

Other minor improvements include the reinforcement of the chassis, baseplate and tripod plug as well as a redesigned mirror vibration control system – all to help stabilize the sensor.

You also get some new auto white balance options as well as a few cropped shooting modes (30.5-megapixel and 19.6-megapixel) if for some reason, you don’t want to take advantage of the entire sensor. Data transfer thankfully takes place across a speedy USB 3.0 interface.

Naturally, there are a few drawbacks when shooting at such a high resolution. For starters, continuous shooting is limited to just five frames per second and the ISO maxes out at 6,400. It’s also not going to be an ideal choice for videographers due primarily to the lack of HDMI-out and a headphone port.

The main difference between the 5DS and the 5DS R is the fact that the latter can cancel out its low-pass filter in order to deliver sharper images.

The cameras (body only) will go on sale in June for $3,699 and $3,899 for the 5DS and 5DS R, respectively.

Permalink to story.

Hmmm... I wonder if this would make for a decent replacement for the VGA camera on my $20 cellphone I still find fantastic. ;)

Am not so sure this camera is going to do well. Too many pixels on that sensor...means this camera is not good in low light and not good for sports either. So what is it good for? who will buy this? The file sizes are going to be huge worst if you shoot raw.... Oh! not to mention the videographers out there...they won't like this camera either. Maybe if you shoot stones all day, then this would be a great buy to admire the details in the shots. Geologists may approve of it. Maybe. :)

Am not so sure this camera is going to do well. Too many pixels on that sensor...means this camera is not good in low light and not good for sports either. So what is it good for? who will buy this? The file sizes are going to be huge worst if you shoot raw.... Oh! not to mention the videographers out there...they won't like this camera either. Maybe if you shoot stones all day, then this would be a great buy to admire the details in the shots. Geologists may approve of it. Maybe. :)

you have no idea what your talking about. this camera is going to be huge.

you have no idea what your talking about. this camera is going to be huge.
Actually, he is right. They increased the ammount of pixels on the sensor, but did not increase the size of the sensor itself. That means each pixel got smaller, and by consequence their sensitivity to light was decreased. Of course, it's still more sensitive than most of the smaller frame formats, specially the tiny smartphone sensors. But unless you absolutely need the higher resolution (which most people won't need), you're better served by a full-frame camera around the 20 to 30 MP range, which has larger and more sensitive pixels, meaning it can detect more light in the same time interval, in turn meaning better low-light photos (both in brightness and, unless you use a tripod to avoid shaking from your hand, sharpness) and brighter results in short-exposure photos (or even shorter exposures to achieve the same brightness), like in the sports case that guest mentioned.
Not to say this camera is a sham, some people will need the higher resolution, and in good lighting or long exposure cases this camera will do just as well as one with larger pixels. But this is definitely NOT a case of "larger numbers are always better". This is the same reason why the Lumia 1020 camera pales (pun intended) in comparison with recent smartphone cameras from Sony and Apple (which is also a Sony sensor).

Can't wait to see medium format comparisons to this sensor. Macro photography, I think will benefit the most from the extra detail from this sensor. We'll see.

No it won't help macros. Macro will need good light capturing censors and from a gut feeling this alteration will perform less efficient in low light than the 6D.

No it won't help macros. Macro will need good light capturing censors and from a gut feeling this alteration will perform less efficient in low light than the 6D.
With this I disagree. I don't think the lower light sensitivity will be large enough to make macro photography worse, unless you're talking about macro in low-light (in which case it will be affected regardless of whether it's macro or not). This is still a full-frame sensor after all. And the vast majority of macro photography I've personally seen is well-lit enogh so hat even a smartphone-sized sensor would still produce an acceptable image.
I think macro is one case where this camera will do better than the lower-MP full-frame cameras, because the higher resolution will be a bigger benefit than the lower sensitivity will be a detriment.

Anyone seriously using this for macro, assuming that they actually experience the limitation of low-light, might just buy one of those macro "ring flash" attachments.

Personally, I find it interesting that Canon seems to put high-end features into the lower end models, and with cameras like the "old" 7D, I wonder how they could have sold the much higher prices models, when, in some cases, the 7D was a much more capable camera. Must be that the various models appeal to different market segments.

My bet is that this particular camera and the 50Mp sensor is a first step to bringing higher density sensors to their entire line. They are experimenting with the technology in this camera, but will improve it as time goes on. In a couple generations, I bet they increase light sensitivity and increase the 5 fps limitation. Time will tell...

Back