Canoscan scanner returns error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluebirdBooks

My Canon Canoscan 8600F scanner won't do a PDF or photo...returns the error message: "Unable to Scan. Make sure there is enough space in the target disk." My C drive has plenty of capacity so I'm hoping getting it to work is something simple. Any ideas?

Just go to Canon's webpage, find your model and update the drivers from there. No need for a disk.

I would say then get out the disk you mentioned and uninstall and then reinstall the software and then update the drivers.

missing of some dll files can cause the problem.
o.gif

I was able to get this scanner going by following Route 44's advice; I found the disk and reinstalled and it worked.

Of course, now I've bought a new computer running on Windows 7 and must try and figure out why the driver I have repeatedly tried to download doesn't seem to be working...must find some time to resolve this latest issue. Sigh...

I was able to get this scanner going by following Route 44's advice; I found the disk and reinstalled and it worked.

Of course, now I've bought a new computer running on Windows 7 and must try and figure out why the driver I have repeatedly tried to download doesn't seem to be working...must find some time to resolve this latest issue. Sigh...

I would contact Canon directly via email tech support and give them the model of the scanner, the version of the Windows you are running and the issues you rae having with the needed drivers for your scanner to work.

Thanks for your help, Route 44...I'll probably try that approach. I actually don't need the scanner that often; but when I do, I really do

Do you know if the drivers are Win 7 compatible? And if the scanner itself is Win 7 compatible?

If you're running a non-Home version of Win 7 there's a virtual XP mode available. The scanner might work under virtual XP

Canon is showing drivers for Windows 7 even for the older model 8400F, (which I own). That being said, I haven't actually tried them yet.

Well, thanks for putting that much to bed!

@BluebirdBooks
Googling canoscan Make sure there is enough space in the target disk brings up a few interesting hits. Take a look at this thread. Seems at least one person with similar problem got a solution from Cannon

Voila!

FWIW, I just couldn't find the driver that I'd downloaded from Canon USA website (all that appeared in my software file was "read this"). So for grins I uninstalled everything that I'd downloaded and inserted my old disk (based on XP, I thought). Installed Toolbox and all accessories...voila! Works just fine. I assumed I'd need Win7 software...you know what they say about people who assume things...makes an '***' out of 'u' and 'me'.

The older canoscan scanners are NOT compatible with win 7. I am not aware of any win 7 drivers. You will have to run in xp compatibility mode or use an older system.

update-

I just checked the canon website and there ARE drivers out there for win 7. The last time I checked, there were not. You should be ok with the new drivers.

FWIW, I just couldn't find the driver that I'd downloaded from Canon USA website (all that appeared in my software file was "read this"). So for grins I uninstalled everything that I'd downloaded and inserted my old disk (based on XP, I thought). Installed Toolbox and all accessories...voila! Works just fine. I assumed I'd need Win7 software...you know what they say about people who assume things...makes an '***' out of 'u' and 'me'.

"DVD Shrink" runs perfectly under Windows 7, it was written in 2003, (I think) . But, some programs won't. Given the choice, personally I would try the drivers that Canon has listed for Windows 7. The bottom line there is, perhaps they're the same, or almost the same as the old XP drivers, and Canon has just certified them for the new OS.

As to the the implications of the phonetic breakdown of the word, "assume", I've been aware of them for at least the past 40 years. To which I might add, that that hasn't been particularly clever for at least 39 of those same years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back