Cant access Internet with new router

Teh Snowman

Hi guys,

I got a new router (Linksys wrt160n) and I'm having some problems connecting to the internet with it.

My old router, a Linksys wrt54gs, works just fine. I set my new router up the exact same way I did with my old one and I get nothing, but my old one still works.

My ISP has us using static addressing, so I have to go in and type the addresses manually, I quadruple checked all the addresses. I tried pinging the Gateway and nothing. The farthest out I can ping is to my router's external IP, but nothing else.

I tried connecting my new router to my old one as a client and set it to use DHCP and that worked just fine... but it still doesn't when I set it statically and using my ISP's addresses.

I did a little looking at the static routes on both routers and the order of the static routes are mixed up.

I'm wondering if this might be causing the problem... but if it is, I don't know how or even if I can change those routes.

Help will be much appreciated, thanks :)

set the new router to use DHCP for IP & DNS; The ISP should respond correctly and
your system should be able to
ping 8.8.8.8 (google's address) as well as
ping google.com (by name)​
if BOTH work, then the static addresses, subnet mask, or DNS addresses you've manually
set are greatly in question

I hooked my new router through my old router and was pulling dhcp and that worked fine. I could ping the gateway, google, and everything else just fine.

The weird thing is that it just won't work with static addressing from my ISP. Also, I cannot pull dhcp from my ISP. They make us use static addressing.

I checked all the addresses and I'm 100% sure they are typed in correct, even compared both router config pages side-by-side and it's all the same.

Idk... I think there's something wrong with the router. I might just install the dd-wrt firmware and see if that gives me better results.

Thanks for the help.

Yea it's EASY to foul out manual settings.

Wire up the configuration that gives you the ping results and then
get a command prompt (start->run->cmd) and enter ipconfig /all >myTcp.txt

Follow-up by ether attaching the myTcp.txt file or copy the contents and paste into your next post.

With that as a model, we can evaluate the static settings.... complete this with whatever you were told as static parameters
Code:
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : 
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : 
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 

Back