Can't add networked printer to computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legoflamb

At my work there's a room with computers for the public to use and everything is running smoothly and they are all able to print apart from one.

The problem machine recently had a corrupt windows install so I fixed that and now it's working and connected to the network/on the internet but I'm completely unable to get it to print.

It says I need to add a printer so I go to control panel and pick the printers and faxes section and to use the option for adding a printer but can't pick the existing printer that all the other computers use.

Add printer wizard - next - network printer/printer attached to another computer - browse for printers.

Here's where the problem lies - it comes up with the option of clicking Microsoft Windows Network but doesn't display the actual Network that all the computers are on, there's no add sign so I can't expand it.

If I try to press next it says 'you need to specify a valid network printer name'

I've been on another computer, looked at the settings on it for printers, found the right printer and then wrote the exact name into where you can type on the add printers screen but it doesn't like it.

I'm not sure what to do about this don't like printers or networking, not my thing at all! - any suggestions are welcome and thanks in advance guys!

hmm; XP vs Vista vs Win/7 ??
What OS is the printer attached to and what OS's are trying to access it?

Can't do that buddy on that system. First do you have permission to access that PRT on your company domain? This is a work printer on a domain correct!

Ah sod it I'll leave it to one of the volunteers - they think they're hotshots anyway!

Thanks for the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back