Can't decide between a tablet or a smartwatch? Have both with the Rufus Cuff

Shawn Knight

Staff member

In the unlikely scenario that you’re struggling with whether to purchase a tablet or a smartwatch (or are simply turned off by the latter’s small screen), the Rufus Cuff may be just what you’ve been waiting for.

Described as a wrist communicator rather than a smartwatch, the Rufus Cuff from Rufus Labs is essentially a smartwatch on steroids. It packs a massive (for your wrist) 3.2-inch TFT capacitive touchscreen display that’s powered by a TI Cortex A9 processor. To put that into perspective, the screen on the iPhone 4s measures just 3.5 inches diagonally.

Other noteworthy features include up to 64GB of local storage, 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, a front-facing video camera, speaker, dual microphones and a bevy of sensors (GPS, accelerometer, gyroscope and compass) that’s all powered by a 1,175mAh battery.

The Rufus Cuff runs Android KitKat and is compatible with both Android and iOS devices. Although it doesn’t have a SIM card slot, voice and video calls can be made over the Internet.

Co-founder and CEO Gabe Grifoni told USA Today that the Rufus Cuff isn’t just a glorified notification center and that it will one day replace the need for smartphones, wallets, watches and fitness trackers.

The Rufus Cuff will be available early next year in your choice of black, red and white color schemes. Expect to pay between $249 and $399 depending on storage capacity.

Comparison image courtesy Roddy Blelloch, USA Today

Permalink to story.

It might be a worthwhile purchase if it included a hidden blade as per Assassins Creed games. Pending that it's just another useless wearable gimmick as far as I'm concerned.

I wish apple had brought this out - so I could laugh at the isheep wearing them, unfortunately not even apple are that stupid.

"it will one day replace the need for smartphones, wallets, watches and fitness trackers"

Keep dreaming, this will never replace my fat wallet, watch or smartphone. I couldn't imagine trying to work with something this big and bulky on my wrist ALL DAY LONG. It would be broken within the first day, either the strap will break as it gets ripped off by something I'm walking past while carrying a box, or the screen will be broken from a similar situation. Looking at my regular wrist watch with it's bazillion scratches makes it hard to justify spending this much on something so useless.

There's a market for everything despite how "stupid" people think this is. I love the idea; just wish there were a cell radio.
Besides I'm one of those people who love unusal things so I could definitely see me buying this.

Back