Can't delete a program

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwinger

I hope this is in the right thread. Heres my trouble, when i go into my control panel and choose to delete a program it wont let me. this is hte message i get. why wont it let me delete it and how can i delete it?
FF.jpg

I am reading this that you want to uninstall the program, not 'delete' it:

You will need to make sure though that it does not start when you boot, or it will not allow the uninstall:

Start> Run> type in ''msconfig' without the quotes> Selective Start-up> Startup tab> uncheck the process that is for this> Apply> OK.

Reboot> Close the nag message that comes up after checking 'don't show this message again'.

Now do the uninstall in the Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs.

You're not the only one having this problem and CA hasn't been help to those who ask. There are two things you can do that may help the uninstall.

First, remove the Parental Control from the Suite: Here is the direction from eTrust/CA: http://tinyurl.com/4y2hhn

Once done, boot into Safe Mode and then try the uninstall.

Bobbye said:
I am reading this that you want to uninstall the program, not 'delete' it:

You will need to make sure though that it does not start when you boot, or it will not allow the uninstall:

Start> Run> type in ''msconfig' without the quotes> Selective Start-up> Startup tab> uncheck the process that is for this> Apply> OK.

Reboot> Close the nag message that comes up after checking 'don't show this message again'.

Now do the uninstall in the Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs.
those options aren't available all i get is this and no other boxes are shown.

Untitledsss.jpg

Well you don't have any system specs, but I don't recognize the uninstall screen so you must have Vista. I don''t know what else to tell you- you can email CA, but don't expect much help- at least going by what I read.

Have you opened the program to see if any of the options like uninstalling the Parental Controls are available instead of just trying to use the uninstall wizard?

Bobbye said:
Well you don't have any system specs, but I don't recognize the uninstall screen so you must have Vista. I don''t know what else to tell you- you can email CA, but don't expect much help- at least going by what I read.

Have you opened the program to see if any of the options like uninstalling the Parental Controls are available instead of just trying to use the uninstall wizard?
yea and it gave the entire lists but said they wern't installed it seems that its an empty program in the control panel but wont uninstall.

IF the files are not installed, you should be able to do a right click> delete on each of them.

The only suggestion that I can give at this point is to reinstall the program, then attempt the uninstall again. Apparently the uninstaller has been damaged and the only way to fix that is to reinstall/uninstall.

Be sure you stop any part from starting up at boot though before you attempt the uninstall again.

c cleaner and high jack this have the same result nothing. and reinstall then uninstall didnt fix it either. sigh. oh well , thanks any way guy guys.

Have you gone to "Safe Mode" and tried to uninstall? These AV programs won't go away while they're running. You might try killing all the processes attendant to the CA using the task manager. Usually AV has a half dozen processes running. Auto update, Email protection, etc.

This is anecdotal but Macafee is the worst, If you try to remove a trial of their Anti-Spyware, it takes out the uninstaller with it, ("unvise" something or other), after that it doesn't even show in control panel.

I get X script and permissision denied when I treid to Download your installer cleanup tool from the link you sent.;-(

This is not a neat idea.

When my uninstall fails (in XP), I delete the folders (say from program files etc), then use a registry cleaner (like wisecleaner).

Repeat : not a neat idea.

If it comes down to it (and you choose to), I see two options to forcing that software out:
  • 3rd party uninstallers
  • Removing it yourself by hand
In either case, the absolute first requirement is creating a disk image full backup (I trust Acronis True Image Home). Be sure to create the Emergency Recovery CD (so you can always backup/restore from a bootable CD if you lose the disk completely). Acronis also gives you a 15day free trial use.

3rd party Uninstallers
I see some 3rd party products which claim they can remove your apps. If you want to explore this route, I can provide a few comments on what I’d look for/look out for with such a product (no personal experience with these things, sorry)
  • I’d only use freeware or something that offered a free trial usage. Don’t pay a penny till you know it’s something that can help
  • Be sure to search for “reviews” and “ratings” to see if you can find honest opinion by others about this product
  • Don’t download/use products found on “just any” website as you don’t know ALL of what you’re really downloading
  • You could search more trusted sites like CNET and MajorGeeks.com
  • Many of these uninstallers are going to start with the same information that’s already there for Add/Remove Programs. If that data is corrupted to begin with (and that’s the source of your problem) many uninstallers may have the exact same problem.

Hand Removal
I think this options requires a good set of tools (I’ll offer some below, am sure people can also recommend others) and deciding on the approach (which you might want to explore in this forum to get everyone’s input).

The critical areas to tackle are your startups, services and drivers and, of course, the registry
  1. Get a snap shot of what’s running while in safe mode
    • Run Process Explorer to save a text file snapshot of all the processes you have running
    • Run Serviwin to save a snapshot of all the services and drivers (I like to save my Serviwin output into Excel to easily sort / search / manipulate the data once I have it)
  2. Get another snapshot but this time configure CA Internet Security not to start on reboot
    • I’m assuming you can tell CA not to start/run?
    • Unplug from the Internet. Reboot and repeat the snapshots above to see what’s not running and what services/drivers might be different.
  3. Determine how to prevent CA Internet Security from starting by changing your startups (rather then changing CA itself)
    • Plug internet back. Let CA start normally on reboot.
    • Use Autoruns. When it starts, note its status in lower left corner. Hit Esc to stop the scan. Now click Options and then Hide Microsoft Entries and Verify Code Signatures. Then File->Refresh to scan
    • You should now have a list of all startups (without all the Microsoft clutter) AND an indication of code signatures. This should help identify all CA startups (processes as well as services/drivers)
    • Using Autoruns, you can check any item to prevent it from starting on next boot. Uncheck all the CA stuff. Reboot. Take snapshots and see how they compare to the ones where CA was simply turned off.
  4. I think it should be clear just what needs to be prevented/turned off to keep CA from running at this point. From here on, it’s a matter of:
    • Modify your startups to make those Autorun changes permanent
    • Remove the files those startups were using
    • Run a registry cleaner
  5. Now it’s a matter of continuing the cleanup
    • Remove the obvious CA directories and files. (Remember, there’s no need to be “overly” aggressive in removing things right away)
    • Re-run the registry cleaner regularly
Other tools you’ll probably also find helpful
  • RegShot (Provide a diff between two snapshots of your registry)
  • CSDiff (Provides diff to see what files are different between directories)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back