Can't get rid of Yahoo search in tabs

Doug8765

Hi -
I have my search set as Google, but when I open a new tab I always get Yahoo search. It gives a pretty picture and does not indicate that I'm about to get a Yahoo search, but if I type in something and do the search then, lo and behold, I've got a Yahoo search. How do I fix this?

Doug8765

Firefox version 57. They (the Firefox folks) convinced me that this was a major performance upgrade. Just before the Yahoo search started coming up, I did one of their Refresh Firefox actions. The Firefox folks suggest if you don't like the performance that one should do this. A refresh purges a bunch of stuff without losing icons, bookmarks, etc.

Thanks for asking. Sorry for leaving it out.

Doug8765

Try this---

screenshot_5.jpg

You are aware that while you are selecting your search engine, you can delete the other ones. Simply highlight one & click either remove or delete, which ever is there. I've done it, hope it helps you :) repeat till they're gone :)

You are aware that while you are selecting your search engine, you can delete the other ones. Simply highlight one & click either remove or delete, which ever is there. I've done it, hope it helps you :) repeat till they're gone :)

Hi -
I did delete the Yahoo search in just the way you suggest. It made no difference.

I have found out the problem. I don't know how an add-on was inserted - because I don't use add-ons - but I found that there was a single add-on in my firefox browser that has the solitary task of making the search engine a Yahoo search engine. I removed the add-on and now Firefox works the way it's supposed to work. (I'm not a firefox fan.)

Thanks for the suggestion.
Doug8765

Hi learninmypc -
I found the problem. There was a Yahoo add-on that keeps putting in Yahoo search. I removed the add-on and now it's behaving. All I can figure is that it came from the refresh of firefox, but that does not make sense.

Doug8765

Back