Can't get Windows to boot, not even in safe mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwo2007

Hi all,
ok when I turn the laptop on I get the usual black screen for a second, then the window offering to open in recovery console or windows ex media centre appers ( more on this later, this screen was added after I had some problems before). Any I let the computer boot up normally and it goes to a black screen saying something along the lines of "we apologize for the inconvenience, but windows did not start sussesfully, a recent hardware or software change may have caused this. If your computer stopped responding, restated unexpectedly or was shut down to protect your files choose the last know configureation...."

Now I have 4 options. Safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt or ( last know good configuration) windows start up. Now I have tried all the combination and the results are the same for each. (FYI there is a 30 count down on this screen). So as the next step is for the computer to try to start up again, I get the windows logo page with the blue bar timer thingy, but then it goes through the same steps as above and takes me back to the page with the 4 options! As there is a 30 second timer here the computer is in an iterative loop.

However I can open the computer under "microsoft windows recovery console" when I do the I get taken to a page saying " recovery console provides system repair and recovery functionality"
1: c:\windows
2: d:\minimt
3: f:\windows
which windows installation would you like to log onto?"

This looks as if it the only place that I can work from!!
Any ideas?!? This Problem May have been caused by a virus or the effect of installing and unistalling a web cam on the Laptop. (if that helps)

1: c:\windows
2: d:\minimt
3: f:\windows
As Windows seems to have been installed 3 times already !
Then it may be time for a backup and clean install of Windows

1. Read: How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot

2. Install Windows clean: http://www.windowsxpprofessional.windowsreinstall.com/sp2sp3installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

Also if you press the space bar that 30second countdown will stop, allowing you to read the screen for more than 30secs

So I will require the windows cd? ( what if I can't find it?) will this overwrite files and programs? Photos & muscic etc? Is there not some ms- dos like bootcnf of bootfix that will work?

Thank you for your help

So I will require the windows cd? ( what if I can't find it?) will this overwrite files and programs? Photos & muscic etc? Is there not some ms- dos like bootcnf of bootfix that will work?

Thank you for your help
Then how are you seeing the "Recovery Console" without the Windows disc?
Note: A Repair does not remove any User Data

There is one more possible option, try running CheckDisk in the Recovery Console chkdsk /r

I can see the recovery console without the disk as I downloaded it on the advice of a forum member after I had a virus before! So when ever windows would boot up in the past, a screen appeared giving me 1 second to select the recovery console.

Oh, yes I like Combofix it does install the Recovery Console as well :grinthumb

Please try chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console

ok

But instead of me getting two emails of your replies in future, just use Edit to add to your post, if your post is still the last post in the Topic (obviously presently not)

sorry about before! Ok "chkdsk found and fixed one or more errors on the volume"
then it lists how much disk space is free, size of disk, and then allocations on the disk.

Then back to c:\ windows>
so what is the next step? :)

No.

Type EXIT then press Enter
Then if it doesn't restart by itself, then turn it off manually

By the way, turning off your computer whilst Windows is loaded (even in the Recovery Console), can cause faults as seen in CheckDisk ;)

Did it work? If not refer above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back