Can't install IE7 or SP2 on SP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag1914

i've been trying for months to install ie7 and sp2.i've tried it on a ckean install a dozen times.i've used the disc,ive downloaded from microsoft a dozen times.used every anti spyware in the book and everytime my screen looks like it's in safe mode.

How are you doing the download?
Where are you doing the download from?
What order are you doing the downloads in? (SP2> IE7/IE7/SP2?)
What message are you getting on the download?

can't load ie7 orsp2

i've downloaded from microsoft every time.i've downloaded from disk a dozen times.i've tried sp2 first,i've tried ie7 first.after clean reinstall of xp many times,ran ad aware,norton,clamwin,avg,and others.i've installed right after reloading xp only many times.

can't install ie7 or sp2 on xp pro

it installs okay every time but every time i install one of them my screen looks like it's in safe mode when i reboot.everything is a mess, and i can't do anything about it.when it installs automaticaly,same problem.thanks

Then you need to find why the system is coming up in Safe Mode:
But we need to be sure it IS in Safe Mode: Reboot and begin tapping the F8 key right after the logo loads- before Windows starts to load. That will bring you up in Safe More. Once there:

Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer:
Click first on System, then on Apps. You will be looking for Errors in the logs occurring at the time of the failed installs.
Right click on each Error> Properties> click on the Copy icon below the down arrow on the right. Using Ctrl V, paste the Error here.

NOTE: you do not need to paste all the lines of code after the description. But include the rest of each Error which will have an ID#, a Source and a Description.

You will be seeing repeating Errors since you have been at this for a while. IF the ID#, the Source and the Description are the same, I only need one copy. Ignore Warnings and Information Events. Maybe we can find the problem here.

After I get some idea of what's happening, I will have you run the Error Check and the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility- but not yet. Please do not allow any updates on your computer for now, "except" those for your antivirus program.

ag1913

bobbye:should i load sp2 or ie7 first?Or just go ahead with your instructions from here ie6 sp1?

Get IE6/SP1 installed first. I don't think you can get IE7 until you have SP2 on the system so don't even try. But we need to check those errors.

ag1914

i ran out of time last night.i tried getting the errors the way you told me,but when i rebooted i lost them.i got them again after reboot but could'nt send them to you.i even tried to send the whole thing to you,no go.i tried loading sp2 right after ie6sp1 many times before no go.i just do'nt understand it.my son and brother let it download automaticly.both work?

I have something I prepared when SP2 came out. It may help you now, before you try to download it:
1. A system should be clean! Run AV and spyware/adware program, maybe even an online scan for each also.
2. Read as much as you can about what to check after a significant D/L like this. It was clearly stated that it would cause some changes in settings-so that would be the best to check right away.
3. Create your own System Restore Point before ANY update from MS. It is not uncommon for an update to cause some system problem.
4. Know what the update will bring to your system and what that means. In the case of SP2, the Windows firewall would be on by default. IF you have another firewall, make the decision right away which you want to run. Likely best choice will be other than Windows firewall as it only looks at incoming traffic, not outgoing.
5. If you have one of the Security Suites that are so common now, know what it has and does in order to prevent a conflict. Rule of Thumb: only 1 firewall, only 1 AV program, at least two spyware/adware programs.
6. Disabling the Windows firewall requires: bringing up the Security Center and clicking to stop the firewall and making sure the 'Windows Firewall' Service is disabled and stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back