Can't install mbam and no internet connection from Active Security virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a virus from a link on Facebook. It generated alot of false Windows notices for infection. It was that Active Security virus. I used MSCONFIG to turn off most of my start up registries and programs. Infection notices have stopped, but no access to internet. I have both a hardline DSL connection, a wireless in the house, and a Verizon Broadband card. None are working. Also, I can't install Malwarebytes. I get a "Unable to execute file: C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" notice. It also says: "CreateProcess failed; code 2. The system cannot find the file specified". I have managed to download all the programs from the 8-step recommendation to a flash drive, I just can't load them to my laptop. Any help would be appreciated.

To update: I have managed to shut down all the false infection notices and installed CCleaner, MBAM, and Super AntiSpyware. So far, I have been able to remove about 130 adwares and malware programs. However, I still am unable to access the internet and am locked out of REGEDIT. I think if I can figure out how to access the internet, I will be able to update the programs with current definitions and get the remaining programs out. I turned back on all of my registry operations and all the pop ups and notices about the infections came back on as well so I know I still have something buried in the start up registry.

Welcome to TechSpot, dallasfitness. I'll try to help you sort or the good stuff from the bad! It sounds like the infections aren't being completely removed, rather than 'coming back.'

IF you can, update and rescan with MBAM, and Super AntiSpyware. Check the lines in both of these programs to remove the malware they find. Attach both logs.

Then scan with HijackThis. Paste the log in your next reply.

Please hold off on using CCleaner so I can see what's on the system.

You'll find all the current links for these program HERE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back