Can't install Windows 2000 after XP re-install

By Dplatte ยท 9 replies
Apr 17, 2018
Post New Reply
  1. I recently had to reinstall XP (I know, but I like XP). Encounted many problems, but think most of them, if not all are fixed. However, when I tried to install Windows 2000 from a CD that I have owned for many years and installed on succeeding PC's, I got a message that "said we are unable to verify your license number", multiple times. I bought a new Windows 2000CD still in the original packaging from eBay, a very reliable vendor, and had exactly the same result. I did it multiple times with both CD's to make sure I wasn't making a typo, but the implication was that I din't have a real license number. Thru the years, I have installed that CD many times with no problem. HELP??

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 12,054   +1,337

3. Dplatte

Dplatte TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the suggestion, but that software looks for keys on the disk. My problem is that I can't install W 2000 on the disk.

4. Dplatte

My stupid mistake. I can't install Office 2000 on reinstalled XP

5. Dplatte

Might have to log in a Admin, I'll try that

6. Dplatte

No admin account set up. I have admin authority. Still have the problem. I can't install Office 2000. Message says can't verify license. Check w/IT mgr.

7. holdum323

holdum323 Banned Posts: 1,725   +455

8. Dplatte

Thanks for the link. I've downloaded it's various links and will work on them tomorrow

9. Dplatte

I've tried various things, and nothing has worked. I've tried both my original W 2000 CD and another I bought from a reliable eBat source, many times. I get the following message:
    "Error 1406: Could not value installed to key\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run\optionalcomponents\msfs
    Verify that you have sufficent access tothat key, or contact your support personnel."

10. Dplatte

My original post said I was having a problem installing Windows 2000. WRONG! After re-installing XP. my problem now is installing OFFICE 2000. I've got my original CD from many years and many PCs ago. Also have a CD in original packing I bought from eBay. Have the same problem with both after many tries. Stops installing and gives the following message:
    "Error 1406: Could not value installed to key\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run\optionalcomponents\msfs
    Verify that you have sufficent access tothat key, or contact your support personnel."