Can't install Windows 2000 after XP re-install

Dplatte

I recently had to reinstall XP (I know, but I like XP). Encounted many problems, but think most of them, if not all are fixed. However, when I tried to install Windows 2000 from a CD that I have owned for many years and installed on succeeding PC's, I got a message that "said we are unable to verify your license number", multiple times. I bought a new Windows 2000CD still in the original packaging from eBay, a very reliable vendor, and had exactly the same result. I did it multiple times with both CD's to make sure I wasn't making a typo, but the implication was that I din't have a real license number. Thru the years, I have installed that CD many times with no problem. HELP??

Thanks for the suggestion, but that software looks for keys on the disk. My problem is that I can't install W 2000 on the disk.

No admin account set up. I have admin authority. Still have the problem. I can't install Office 2000. Message says can't verify license. Check w/IT mgr.

I've tried various things, and nothing has worked. I've tried both my original W 2000 CD and another I bought from a reliable eBat source, many times. I get the following message:
"Error 1406: Could not value installed to key\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run\optionalcomponents\msfs
Verify that you have sufficent access tothat key, or contact your support personnel."

My original post said I was having a problem installing Windows 2000. WRONG! After re-installing XP. my problem now is installing OFFICE 2000. I've got my original CD from many years and many PCs ago. Also have a CD in original packing I bought from eBay. Have the same problem with both after many tries. Stops installing and gives the following message:
"Error 1406: Could not value installed to key\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run\optionalcomponents\msfs
Verify that you have sufficent access tothat key, or contact your support personnel."

Back