Can't make it so that it requires a password on resuming from screensaver: XP Pro SP3

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDominici

I have a laptop with Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3. I'm trying to make it so that when someone accesses the computer while the screensaver is on, it asks for the password before returning to the desktop. Checking the "On resume, password protect" option does nothing. And before someone gives me this answer, yes I have googled this and seen the solution with the HKEY registry and changing it from 0 to 1...I tried this, and mine is already on 1. Also, I do have a password set on the welcome screen to login when turning on the computer, so that's not the issue either. I only have one user account that I login with; the Guest Account is disabled. I have both "Use the Welcome Screen" and "Use Fast User Switching" checked under User Accounts, although I have tried unchecking them both and there is still no password protect when coming back from the screensaver.
I haven't found any other solutions to this and I don't know what else to do. Any ideas?

Under screen savers there should be a place where you can set a password getting out of the screensaver. If you can't do this you might have a virus or other malware type infection

Are you using a standard screensaver or a custom one? If you are using a custom one, I have seen cases where the PC will not lock on resume from screensaver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back