Can't open any programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where to begin... Yesterday, I was browsing the internet when my computer suddenly restarted for no reason. When it came back, Spybot's Teatimer popped up that something was trying to change my homepage (and a few other things), so I stopped it. Then there appeared a red circle with white cross icon in the taskbar, with the pop up "Your computer is infected!
Windows has detected spyware infection!
It is recommended to use special antispyware tools to pervent data loss.Windows will now download and install the most up-to-date antispyware for you.
Click here to protect your computer from spyware!"
Well, obviously that's not really from WIndows. So I ran Adaware, and it found 113 critical objects (oops) which were deleted alright, but the original thing was still there. So I went online, and was led to this website: (can't post links with under 5 posts - should be the top website with a google search for smitfraudfix) which said to download a thing called smitfraudfix.exe. So I downloaded that, and ran it. Then following the instructions at the website did the "Search" option. Midway through, it started giving me pop ups saying "The instruction at '<address>' referenced memory at '<address>'.
The memory could not be read.
Click OK to terminate the program. Click on Cancel to debug the program." referencing the programs it was trying to scan, I think. Then it said to restart the computer in safe mode, before using the "Clean" option of Smitfraudfix. But after restarting, whenever I try to open it I get a similar "The instruction at '<address>' referenced memory at '<address>'. The memory could not be read." error. And now I'm getting the same error when I try to open just about anything - Internet Explorer, Hearts, Notepad, the System Restore thing... Help!

Download Smitfraud Fix
http://siri.urz.free.fr/Fix/SmitfraudFix.exe
Note you may need to do this on another computer, and copy it via USB Flash Drive to your infected computer

Clean:

Reboot your computer in Safe Mode
(before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually)

Double-click SmitfraudFix.exe

Select 2 and hit Enter to delete infected files.

You will be prompted: Do you want to clean the registry ? answer Y (yes)
and hit Enter in order to remove the Desktop background and clean registry keys associated with the infection.

The tool will now check if you are infected. You may be prompted to replace the infected file (if found): Replace infected file ? answer Y (yes) and hit Enter to restore a clean file.

A reboot may be needed to finish the cleaning process. The report can be found at the root of the system drive, usually at C:\rapport.txt

Optional:

To restore Trusted and Restricted site zone, select 3 and hit Enter.
You will be prompted: Restore Trusted Zone ? answer Y (yes) and hit Enter to delete trusted zone.
----------------------------------------------------

Additional Steps:

(Start -Run)
sc stop Messenger
sc config Messenger start= disabled

Restart

Then continue to Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions

When I try to run SmitfraudFix, I get:
"SMitfraudFix.exe
The instruction at '0x0013a54b' referenced memory at '0x00194000'.
Click OK to terminate the program
Click on Cancel to debug the program"

When I try to do the additional steps
(Start -Run)
sc stop Messenger
sc config Messenger start= disabled
I get
"sc.exe
The instruction at '0x0040a54b' referenced memory at '0x000a8000'.
Click OK to terminate the program
Click on Cancel to debug the program"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back