Can't open split zip archive

Jskid

I have an archive split across 8 files. The first is backup.zip the next is backup.z01... up to backup.z07 and whenever I try to extract files it says the archive is corrupt. I test the archive using Winrar and it says no errors detected.

Also, should I be trying to open the .zip or .z01 file first?

If it says the archive is corrupt then it probably is, you should start with the first file .zip

Have you got a repair feature in your version of winrar, if so try that.

I have an archive split across 8 files. The first is backup.zip the next is backup.z01... up to backup.z07 and whenever I try to extract files it says the archive is corrupt. I test the archive using Winrar and it says no errors detected.

Also, should I be trying to open the .zip or .z01 file first?

Split ZIP files won't open individually! Try "Control" clicking them to select all the files, then drag the whole mess to the unzipper. You still usually get an error message, but the files will all be open.

They may all end up together in the new folder ".01" or something.

I use an unzipper called, "PKzip". it isn't as versatile as some programs, (won't open as many types of files). However, it will open .ZIP and .RAR packages.

The best thing about this program is that it's simply "stupid proof". Just drag the files you want unzipped across the desktop icon, and it creates a folder and saves it right to the desktop also. No fuss, no muss, and no messy decisions.

The tactic I described earlier, has thus far worked with all the split files I've tried it with. But yes, sometimes you get an error message, even if the files have been unzipped successfully!

Should you run into a file that gives you trouble with PKzip, just go to "7Zip". With that program, you do have to makes choices from a context menu, or God knows where your unzipped files will end up.

Both of the programs I mentioned are free downloads, from their respective sites.

I'm using Winrar, when I try "extract all here" it gets to 99% but then it says the archive is corrupt and deletes everything but when I test the archive it doesn't find any errors, why would that be? When I try repairing it, it says "no files to repair". When I open it using explorer and try extracting the files it says "cannot write to destination".

If the file is corrupt beyond repair that's not too bad, I'm just curious at this point.

OK, I download split .zip and .rar files all the time. I use the 2 >>FREE<< programs I mentioned. I haven't found any that I couldn't open, using the technique I outlined in post #3...!. This includes reassembling video files!

With that said, I'm going to continue doing it my way. You should continue doing it any way you see fit. But remember, I'm not the one with the problem.

I can't comment to "winrar". (I don't have it installed). But, judging by your results, it doesn't seem to work. With that said, do you think I should install that program so that I can share the grief?

If you have corrupted the files somehow, then download them again, and try something different.

Just out of interest where did you get the files from, or did you make them yourself, hence the name "back up".

Just out of interest where did you get the files from, or did you make them yourself, hence the name "back up".

Good point, if these were created by an imaging program, they might need to be unzipped by that. Nero especially likes to screw around with file extension types. I think that many back up programs have encryption protocols in them. (?)

Wish I had more info, but I don't back up that way.

I have seen a number of threads here about inability to load backup files and images.

No it's just a collection of film clips and it wasn't encrypted. It got corrupted in the download. Thanks for the help guys.

Back