Can't shutdown local PC. "Active Directory Domain Services unavailable"

When Windows 10 is officially released, I plan to...

• wait a while for the early adopters to work the kinks out.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mugsy

I'm trying to remotely shutdown another PC in my home from my Desktop PC.

My Desktop PC is 64bit Win7 Home, but I don't think it matters, since a Google search shows every version of Windows AFTER XP has this problem.

I have the Win10 Preview running on a computer in another room. I'd like to be able to shut it down remotely from my primary (Win7) computer. To do this, I run "shutdown /I" from the command prompt. The dialog appears but when I try to "Browse" the network for the other PC, I get an error message telling me:

"Active Directory Domain Services unavailable"

This happens whether I do this from the Win7 PC or the Win10 PC, so I know it's not a hardware or OS specific thing. It also happens if I try to do the same directly from the CLI.

I don't want to have to setup a Server just to do this one tiny thing. Any ideas? TIA.

When you say remotely do you mean Remote Desktop? If so, have you tried pressing Ctrl_Alt_End and then clicking on shutdown?

This SHOULD only be seen if your PC is joined to a Domain Controller

This SHOULD only be seen if your PC is joined to a Domain Controller

If you share files over a local network, while you can see other computers on your network, apparently you can't send commands to them. :(

I found a work-around by installing "Team Viewer 9", allowing me to see the other computers' desktop, from which I can run a shortcut to Shutdown.exe on the remote desktop.

Back