Can't Use Simple File Sharing Between PC and Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

ishilicious

Hey Guys nd Gals,

Heres my prob. Basically, I have a laptop and a regular good old PC. Im constantly downloading patches, fixes, softwares, music, etc.. on the laptop as it has sole internet access. Instead of copying files onto a usb drive, moving them to my pc, deleting the files and starting all over again with new files, I tried connecting them through their LAN/Ethernet cards via a simple broadband (CAT5) wire. I set different IPs on both of them and left everything else under TCP/IP blank. The IPs are 1.1.1.1 and 1.1.1.2. Then i turned on simple file sharing for the folder "Shared Documents" in My Computer for both the laptop and the PC. It worked like a charm for so long until now. All of a sudden, neither the laptop nor the PC recognizes each other. I can ping the IP addresses and it all works. But I cant find either of them under workgroup computers. I cant even enter the IP and select a folder. I need this pretty badly as I have a couple program patches I need to transfer to the PC. I would appreciate if anyone could provide any suggestions. THANKS

reevaluate the setup requirements
  1. the tcp-ip setup needs to be exactly alike except for the unique last digits of the IP address
  2. both systems must be in the exact same Workgroup Name
  3. the target system must have a shared folder and perms to allow Changes
  4. the firewall must have ports 139,445 open

yup thats all working, sharing is enabled, everything is identical except the IPs yet the pc cant recognize or find the laptop and vice versa

Which version of widows are on both systems and did you enable Simple File Sharing?

reevaluate the setup requirements

the tcp-ip setup needs to be exactly alike except for the unique last digits of the IP address
both systems must be in the exact same Workgroup Name,then use a cross cable on the LAN/Ethernet card on both system. it shld work dt way.

Changing the cable may solve your problem. Ensure you use a crossover cable as opposed to a regular Ethernet cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back