Capcom issues new Street Fighter 2 cartridge, but warns using it may cause your SNES to...

midian182

Staff member

It’s the 30th anniversary of the iconic Street Fighter series. To celebrate, Capcom has joined forces with the folks at retro production company iam8bit to release a working SNES cartridge of Street Fighter 2. There are, however, a couple of significant caveats. Firstly, it costs $100; and, most importantly, actually using one in your aging console may cause it to catch fire.

Heading to the cartridge’s page on the iam8bit website shows that there will only be a limited production run of 5,500 units, which could explain that high price tag. There’s also a pretty shocking warning beneath the description that states: “Use of this reproduction game cartridge (the “Product”) on the SNES gaming hardware may cause the SNES console to overheat or catch fire. The SNES hardware is deemed a vintage collectible, so please exercise extreme caution when using the Product and make sure there is fire extinguishment equipment nearby. Use of the Product is at the sole risk of the user."

The cartridge is, of course, intended to be a collectible rather than something purchasers play - even though it is a functioning game. They come in two colors: Opaque Ryu Headband Red and translucent glow-in-the-dark Blanka green. You don’t get to choose the color yourself; orders are randomized. But with only 1000 units available, consider yourself lucky if you receive a green one.

Referring to the potential fire situation, iam8bit released a statement that explained: "We understand that the warning may seem extreme, but the reason for it is logical.”

"We hold consumer safety in the highest regard. We are releasing a new cartridge for SNES compatible hardware, but we are NOT releasing a new console.”

"As a result, we cannot be responsible for--nor could we possibly anticipate--the state or condition of vintage SNES compatible consoles on which this cartridge may be used. The warning is a necessary precaution due to these unknowable factors surrounding aging hardware. While this is a functional game cartridge, first and foremost we consider it to be a collectible item."

If you’d like to buy one of the collectible cartridges, head over to this page, where it is available for preorder and expected to ship sometime in November. If you do still own a working SNES and are feeling lucky, remember to take precautions before playing.

Permalink to story.

Street Fighter II Turbo for the SNES is the best SF game ever made and should be elected into the hall of fame soon. I put 3 lifetimes into that game.

As far as this cartridge catching on fire, that's a bunch of bullcrap. They made a bad remake and want to blame it on the age of the SNES? You gotta be a special type of du /\/\ b to drink that up.

Last edited:
Street Fighter II Turbo for the SNES is the best SF game ever made and should be elected into the hall of fame soon. I put 3 lifetimes into that game.

As far as this cartridge catching on fire, that's a bunch of bullcrap. They made a bad remake and want to blame it on the age of the SNES? You gotta be a special type of du /\/\ b to drink that up.
I think the message here is a bit unclear. From what I understand theyre just trying to make themselves not-liable for people using ancient, damaged game consoles and any issues that arise from it - but who really knows.

As far as this cartridge catching on fire, that's a bunch of bullcrap. They made a bad remake and want to blame it on the age of the SNES?

Console not the cartridge:
“Use of this reproduction game cartridge (the “Product”) on the SNES gaming hardware may cause the SNES console to overheat or catch fire...The warning is a necessary precaution due to these unknowable factors surrounding aging hardware."

Personally, I'm giving iam8bit an eye-roll since it gets people thinking even more that this SF2 cartridge is going to do something to the SNES. I guess if your SNES is full of dust it could over heat, but like anything else (most of the time) if you take care of it, it should still work.

Get out of the way Samsung .... there's a new fire risk in town and you're demoted to #2. You better just hope these guys don't expand out into appliances too!

How is using a cartridge that is similar to the original ones going to catch fire?

Otherwise all the original carts would also have caused the console fire long back..

How different are these new carts that is liable to catch fire?

Are their manufacturing process at fault? Or just a marketing hype?

As far as this cartridge catching on fire, that's a bunch of bullcrap. They made a bad remake and want to blame it on the age of the SNES?

Console not the cartridge:
“Use of this reproduction game cartridge (the “Product”) on the SNES gaming hardware may cause the SNES console to overheat or catch fire...The warning is a necessary precaution due to these unknowable factors surrounding aging hardware."

Personally, I'm giving iam8bit an eye-roll since it gets people thinking even more that this SF2 cartridge is going to do something to the SNES. I guess if your SNES is full of dust it could over heat, but like anything else (most of the time) if you take care of it, it should still work.

Even if it were full of dust it would overheat and lock up way before it would catch fire. The SNES doesn't draw near enough watts to catch fire. Maybe they put a bomb in the games!

Well, I honestly dont see the console catching fire. Old electronics works pretty damn well because in those days it was made to last. The only things that may be "aged" are the crystals and capacitors. If the console has been "maintained" or "serviced" and can play other cartriges with no problems, I do not see why this specific catridge would cause a problem unless they are doing some very dodgy design choices internally.

Selling a game but not responsible if the console catches fire?

why not just release a 'glow in the dark' sticker then? ;)

There are records of old machines catching fire. Be it the SNES, modded Genesis units, Modded NES originals, some Atari units, etc.
This is just a protection of the manufacturer. Much like the warning tag on your chain saw telling you not to use it while sleeping. Or your microwave oven with the warning not to use it in a bath tub or shower.
There are many documented cases of old electronics bursting into flame, almost always the end users fault.

This way the manufacturer here can make a retro game, take on a few thousand dollars, and not get sued because you stuck a cartridge in a destroyed system and turned it on.

Back