Capcom's latest Resident Evil 4 Remake ad perfectly sums up my experience with the demo...

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In brief: Resident Evil 4 Remake launches on Friday. Capcom dropped one final marketing trailer/video for it over the weekend to celebrate. It's a mock anime TV show with the cumbersome title, "Resident Evil 4 Anime PV Resident Evil Masterpiece Theater - 'Leon and the Mysterious Village' EP 1."

Update (March 22): Resident Evil 4 Anime PV Resident Evil Masterpiece Theater - 'Leon and the Mysterious Village' was not just a studio Nippon one-off. Capcom Asia has dropped episode 2 of the apparent series of short videos that all end with Leon dying (so far).

You can watch the video at the end of the article. I won't spoil it for you except by saying it mocks how many times you have to save Ashley in RE4. I'll post more episodes here as Capcom releases them.

This inaugural "episode" follows Leon to the village full of infected people in his search for Ashley. The short was created by the famous anime studio Nippon Animation. It is voiced in Japanese, but Capcom was kind enough to release a version with English subtitles.

The clip is less than one minute long, but I feel it sums up the game perfectly—as long as the final product is as frustratingly hard as the recently released demo. I'll spoil it after you watch the video below.

That brief video comedically encapsulates my experience with the RE4 demo. Make your way through a few relatively easy-to-kill or evade zombies only to encounter a horde that you neither have the ammo nor game mechanics to fight. Take an axe to the head, a pitchfork to the gut, or any number of other ways to die, and game over.

Call me a whiney b***h or whatever—I did not find the Resident Evil 4 demo fun. If I had to describe it, it's like Capcom wanted to try its hand at a Souls-like but failed miserably.

The controls are clunky, especially while aiming for a headshot, which is practically required to conserve ammo since dropping an enemy takes two hits to the head. It forces you to use your knife a lot, which is fun when you are one-on-one with an infected but fighting more than one or two—forget about it.

The ammo is either extremely limited or well hidden. I didn't find too much ammo before dying a hundred deaths. So to face the horde of villagers at the end of the demo, you basically shouldn't shoot any infected on your way there, which, let's be honest, is not any fun.

You are supposed to be able to stealth kill enemies if you crouch and sneak up behind them, which I would love. The problem is that I could never get it to trigger a stealth kill. I don't know if the positioning has to be just right, but every time I tried, I just ended up meleeing the villager, alerting all the nearby baddies.

I'm not a big fan of games of the Demon Souls variety. Or maybe I'm just too old and don't have the patience for the learning curve. I quickly grow bored of watching load screens or trekking through areas I've already gone through a dozen times, but maybe the game is different from the demo. It's getting decent early reviews, so perhaps I was playing it wrong. Unfortunately, the demo turned me off, so I'm saving my money for something else.

You can still try the demo on PlayStation, Xbox, and PC before buying it, which I highly recommend. You might want a walkthrough for this one. Resident Evil 4 Remake launches March 24 on all platforms.

Permalink to story.

I honestly don't recall the original being that hard. It been many years though. The only part I recall getting frustrated with back then was some section in the village where I either kept falling off the roof tops and having to climb back up, or perhaps I was purposely jumping down to avoid the villagers. Other than that, I think I liked the game back in the day.

EDIT: I definitely didn't have the same trouble aiming for the head as I did with this demo.

I don't get WTF is this article??! Git gud, dude, omg lol...

Demo is easy as pie. IT IS SHORT, FFS! I haven't even noticed how I played through it for the first run, when cutscene "everyone hordes in da chappel" started and that was it, and I was like "DOH!".
So I had to run demo twice, just to sneak in every shack in that hamlet, make as much ammo and have some fun in the end :D

Everyone have their own preferences, and this also applies to games. Personally, I am not into games where death is very common because it disrupts the story. Some like the challenge, while others like me prefer to go through the story while still being a part of it by playing the game. So games like Dark Souls, I tried, and have been avoiding as I know it is not for me.

Everyone have their own preferences, and this also applies to games. Personally, I am not into games where death is very common because it disrupts the story. Some like the challenge, while others like me prefer to go through the story while still being a part of it by playing the game. So games like Dark Souls, I tried, and have been avoiding as I know it is not for me.
No, dude. You must play games on max difficulty using no weapons or gear, just fists, what are you a noob? Lol, that's how it's really supposed to be played or you didn't beat the game. Git gud bro!!!

Back