Care with using Microsoft Word 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

FastQuestion

Hi there,

I asked a similar question before in that it involved Microsoft Word 2003; and I have another in a related vein now. Is it okay/or safe to have 100 and more pictures in one .doc file? I don’t mean that the pictures here are ‘as-is’ -- in other words, big pictures -- but they are in fact shrunken down in the document – sort-of like small stills, lined up. Is this okay to do?

I don't see why there would be ay issues having that many images in one file.
At least if anything, it would be up to the computer, not MS Word, MS Word is made for large documents, if required in the office.;)

Is it better (or no different) to space the pictures? They are set up now to slightly overlap each other in the line; and they have the ‘tight’ text wrapping format.

Just to know: when I scroll down the file’s page, the screen pauses for a fraction of a second to let all the pictures show up. Is that to be expected?

Space between pictures is preference.
The screen may pause or flicker, that's a memory issue, just be sure to save your work occasionally so if something were to happen, you're somewhat up-to-date with your work.

I apologize for leaving without some resolution. That was helpful.

I should ask specifically, is there an upper number that I should 'avoid' putting in one file, for any reason?

Well, I'd have to do some testing to give you an accurate answer. You have approximately 100 pictures, in which I am assuming is on regular letter size paper? How large are the pictures?

Hi,
I meant approximately 100 in some cases, for in others I'm fairly sure in estimation that I have a fair number over 100.
The pictures themselves are resized to be like little thumb-nails -- I don't know how else to describe them.

By regular letter size paper, do you mean Times New Roman, 12?

Hi,
I meant approximately 100 in some cases, for in others I'm fairly sure in estimation that I have a fair number over 100.
The pictures themselves are resized to be like little thumb-nails -- I don't know how else to describe them.

By regular letter size paper, do you mean Times New Roman, 12?

You're losing me...:confused:
100 pictures ( + / - ) no problem for sure if they're 'wallet size'. (approx 12 pictures per page).
Letter size paper is 8.5" X11". Times New Roman, 12 is a font / size.

Personally I use openoffice. It's free and better or equal to MS office.

Now that you mention it, I use Open Office on occasion and it might be better since it uses less memory than MS Office. But MS Office won't have a problem with it.

Sorry, what did I lose you on? Yes, my paper is letter size. But I certainly have more than 12 minimized pictures on a single page, though (and more than 100 total in the documet). I was wondering if this was 'okay', especially since the screen pauses when I reach the pictures (when I scroll down the page).

Do you recommend that I change it to approx. 12 per page?

Sorry, what did I lose you on? Yes, my paper is letter size. But I certainly have more than 12 minimized pictures on a single page, though (and more than 100 total in the documet). I was wondering if this was 'okay', especially since the screen pauses when I reach the pictures (when I scroll down the page).
YES its ok, NO you should not have any problems.

Do you recommend that I change it to approx. 12 per page?
Only if it makes you happy.

Sorry, what did I lose you on? Yes, my paper is letter size. But I certainly have more than 12 minimized pictures on a single page,

Don't worry, you didn't lose me, I was only guessing at what you were doing.
The bottom line is, the software can handle it, if there is a question, it's the computer. If you're worried about the screen pausing, it's your graphics card/memory. Just save your work as you go, don't worry about it...:approve:

Hi FastQuestion

As others note, it should all work OK. But if i might ask, is there an underlying reason you need to pack 100's of images into a Word document? Have you just tried using image management freeware (e.g. like Picassa from Google) to easily view and manage all your images directly on your hard drive?) Assuming image management/viewing is all you really need..

Okay!. I'm grateful for your being definitive. I am also a bit happy that it doesn't have to be a 12-per-page deal.

Yes, the packing is for a design -- taking the form of miniature stills. Concerning the image management/viewing freeware, does that simply keep the images in folders on the computer hard drive (like Paint would)?

Okay!. I'm grateful for your being definitive. I am also a bit happy that it doesn't have to be a 12-per-page deal.

I am still a little unclear as to what you're doing, but one other thing you can try (based on the assumption that you are using Windows XP) is using the "Photo Printing Wizard"
It has a template which is set for 35 prints / page (if that works for you). Just simply select 35 images, select 'use one time' and there's no document creation involved.
Don't know if this applies or not, just throwing another idea out there...

I am using Windows XP.

Am I right in thinking that the Printing Wizard template would serve as an automatic document I would be able to use at will? For example, if I put 35 pictures on one page, 35 on the next, and so on in the template, it would do this automatically for new documents I do? I just don't want to do more than I can handle at the moment, especially if my current set up is dandy.

No, the wizard is very basic.
If you're making duplicates, I would suggest putting 35 images in separate directories, then open "My Computer" open the containing folder, select all, and right click then select 'print. The wizard will come up, you go through the preferences and that's it, nothing is saved.

I hope I don’t seem daft here, as I am going to ask: where is the Photo Printing Wizard?
I am not sure I'm understanding -- does the wizard print only the pictures (in an unsaved file), unlike in the saved Microsoft Word document itself, which of course would print both text and pictures?

If you 'right-click' an image file and select "print" from the drop down menu, the photo printing wizard is what comes up :)
The wizard will print image files which are located on your computer (so in a sense, they are saved). No test unless the txt is part of the picture. I didn't know if you were aware of this or if it's even an option for you, but I thought it would be good to let you know ;)

If you 'right-click' an image file and select "print" from the drop down menu, the photo printing wizard is what comes up
The wizard will print image files which are located on your computer (so in a sense, they are saved). No test unless the txt is part of the picture. I didn't know if you were aware of this or if it's even an option for you, but I thought it would be good to let you know

Oh, eh.. my, well that was simple -- I really just must not have recognized it. But you are right, I didn't need this originally, but at least I got something else out if it; I just wanted to know about picture capacity in documents.

No problem, you can keep the wizard in mind for a rainy day.
I just used it this morning, selected 12 different pics, I selected 2/page and it automatically took it from there.
As for your original question, same answer as before, if your PC cna handle it, the software can too. Just remember to keep saving so if your PC shuts down unexpectedly (power failure, whatever the reason) you won't lose your work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back