Case fan is not spinning

joanab88

Recently I installed a cpu cooling fan and it works great. The problem is my new case fan wont spin. I turn on the comp and the cpu cooling fan works but the case fan wont spin. no wires are in the way and everything is connected. I need help. Anyone have any advice?

The fan may have failed. If so, I would just replace it. They are relatively inexpensive.

i just bought a new fan and like I said i turned it on, it worked for 2, 3 days and now it wont spin

Sadly enough, this isn't all that uncommon. I bought a new case and spent a pretty penny on it - one of the fans was DoA. Companies just cutting corners I guess.

Since a fan pretty much just pulls a nominal amount of power from the PSU and doesn't do much else, I'd say that your fan is just defective. If it's only a couple days old, get an RMA and get yourself something a little better quality.

Case fans can be plugged into different power sources depending on their design, like the motherboard or directly to the power supply. What kind did you get and where is it plugged in?

it is plugged into the motherboard. but the fan came with the cord to connect it to the power supply.

What happens if you try connecting the new fan to the power supply?

i tried connecting to it and the fan spins but nothing comes up on my screen. also when i plug the computer back in it starts on its own without me touching the power button.

So if you plug the fan directly to the power supply, it works but then the PC doesn't start or it does start but the monitor doesn't come on? And you have another problem with it starting on its own? Did you have this problem all along or is it new?

When i plug the fan into the power supply the monitor doesnt come on. I had the problem with it starting on its own all along.

It might be a bad motherboard or possibly a bad or weak power supply. Do you happen to access to a spare power supply you can swap into the PC for testing purposes?

Unfortunately, this has turned into more than just a simple bad fan. By process of elimination we can test suspected parts. If you could borrow a power supply, we can see if that changes anything.

Back