Case Fan Question

Jad Chaar

Hi guys,

After quite a bit of research, I think I have settled on the Corsair 400C as my case choice. I have a question regarding fans and fan control though.

This is my planned motherboard: ASRock X370 Killer. It has the following fan connectors: 1 CPU Fan Connector (4-pin), 1 CPU Optional/Water Pump Fan Connector (4-pin) (Smart Fan Speed Control), 2 Chassis Fan Connectors (4-pin) (Smart Fan Speed Control), and 1 Chassis Optional/Water Pump Fan Connector (4-pin) (Smart Fan Speed Control).

I have a few questions:
  1. If I buy extra Corsair AF120/140 fans to put in the case, and end up with 5 fans (3 back/top, 2 intake), how will I distribute these to the motherboard? 5 fans, 3 chassis fan connectors. Do I have to use two splitters to send 2 fans to a single connection? If so, what splitters are recommended? My fans would be 3 pin.
  2. If my fans are 3 pin, will I still get system fan control if I plug them into 4 pin slots on the motherboard?
Would love some insights. Thanks!

I have a few questions:
  1. If I buy extra Corsair AF120/140 fans to put in the case, and end up with 5 fans (3 back/top, 2 intake), how will I distribute these to the motherboard? 5 fans, 3 chassis fan connectors. Do I have to use two splitters to send 2 fans to a single connection? If so, what splitters are recommended? My fans would be 3 pin.
  2. If my fans are 3 pin, will I still get system fan control if I plug them into 4 pin slots on the motherboard?
Would love some insights. Thanks!
If you use 3 pin fans, and want variable speed control, you will have to use a fan controller panel. Note that that gives you the fixed RPM(s) of your choice, and it's out of the board's control.

You you want the board taking over the duties of fan control, you must use 4 wire PWM fans.

I would suggest also considering choosing "Noctua" case fans. Their consumer versions are an ugly beige, (What's up with that?), but their professional fans have black blades and frames. The pro units also push higher RPMs, and hence, more air.

Here is a search page on Noctua's fan product. I intentionally limited the search ro 120 & 140mm units: Read the specs carefully. Their products have a wide range of capabilities.

EDIT Noctua's CPU coolers come with a splitter so that you can add the second fan. They may offer a Y- splitter separately, but I'm not sure

I was looking into the new Noctua's as well. I like the idea of swapping out the corners to different colors.

If you use 3 pin fans, and want variable speed control, you will have to use a fan controller panel. Note that that gives you the fixed RPM(s) of your choice, and it's out of the board's control.

You you want the board taking over the duties of fan control, you must use 4 wire PWM fans.

I would suggest also considering choosing "Noctua" case fans. Their consumer versions are an ugly beige, (What's up with that?), but their professional fans have black blades and frames. The pro units also push higher RPMs, and hence, more air.

Here is a search page on Noctua's fan product. I intentionally limited the search ro 120 & 140mm units: Read the specs carefully. Their products have a wide range of capabilities.

EDIT Noctua's CPU coolers come with a splitter so that you can add the second fan. They may offer a Y- splitter separately, but I'm not sure

Agree 100%.

Noctua case fans I've found superior to all others. The anti vibration rubber pads on the 4 corners certainly helps with low noise and they cool well too. Silence is important, if you value that Noctua is the brand to buy.

Back