Cd/dvd drive always busy

Status
Not open for further replies.

bungar

Hey guys my cd/dvd drive is always busy even if there is no disc in the tray.the tray light stays on always when i close it and can hear that its busy.been going on for a month now dont know the reason or what to do.

Pliz help

Desktop or laptop? Brand and model of optical drive? Brnd and model of computer?
This is a typical sign of optical drive failure. Tell us more.

I agree, it can be a sign of Failure, but It can also be that a program is attempting to use the drive non-stop... Try booting in Safe Mode and see if it continues?

I have tried to boot in safe mode but to no help.The pc is a laptop toshiba.The cd/dvd drive is a TSST Corp CD/DVDW TS-L632B.Not sure what make it is.Here is my HJT log

yes.Is it no good?optus is my internet service provider and they give this antivirus program for free for its members.Also got adware running...

No you have a program installed called: Optus Internet Security Suite (ie Not just your provider)

I would suggest un-install them all from Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel
And follow the above guide Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

Log looks clean :)

Just run HJT again, and tick and fix these four entries:
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')

So how's that CD going?

ticked the 4 items and clicked fix on hjt.Items removed but light still on on cd/dvd drive. can still hear it running.Pliz help.

sorry another what? drive.?can i un- install it?dont know what to do coz my laptop sounds really busy all the time imagine with no cd or dvd running?It gets hot even if there is no program im running

If you disable it in CMOS does that help
Note: If CD is disabled, obviously it won't work

Actually if you go to CMOS, is it spinning then ?
CMOS is accessed when you first turn on the computer
You will see Hit DEL or F2 or F10 (or some key!) to get to CMOS
Not all CMOS settings have the option to disable CD though

dude was this problem there when u first bought the laptop
what happens when u put in the disc
does it read the disc
does it copy the file
does it write
let me know

sorry about that didnt see it seriously.I have re-boot the cd/dvd drive and in safe mode too.when i start the pc its the same....... light will be flashing and then becomes solid when am logged in.even re-booting its the same.,Done it in safe mode b4 when i just boot the cd/dvd drive. Cant get round it.the moment my laptop is on it flashes n solidifies when am logeed on.

getting close 2 mnths now. u reckon i change the drive or its a software issue?maybe system restore? dont wanna change all the things i done cuz of this driver. am fed up now.didnt have any issues from it though b4.used to burn and read from this drive. maybe should just move on but to which one?help me pliz

did system restore help
if not
according to wat u said
i conclude that your motherboard is having an hardtime recognising ur cd/dvd device
try reconnecting your device..
hope this helps

This doesn't seem to be a malware issue. Thread moved to "Mobile Computing" as I believe the problem is likely related to the laptop and/or its brand.

Tried to open cd/dvd drive in my computer and it said "request could not be performed because of an I/O device error"

the drive not reading dvd or cd now.Light just flashes when you insert disc and stays on after.Cd or dvd not shown in my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back