CD & DVD drives lost 'Properties' tabs in XP, can't burn CD's anymore!

Status
Not open for further replies.
CD & DVD drives don't have 'recording' tabs!
Help!
OK, here's what is going on. Several weeks ago (don't remember exactly when, mid or late January) I was fooling around & installed some programs so I could convert songs from my phone to a format my computer could read. Didn't work, I uninstalled it.

Then a bit later I downloaded a program to ID music by playing it over speaker into the microphone to id a song. Uninstalled it, too. I know one of these programs (again, don't remember) told me to change my default 'record media from the drive to I think a virtual drive.

Anyway, I think this is what has caused my problem, which is I can no longer get CD-R's to burn. I have a Dell DImension 5100 with Windows XP and when I try to use Media Player to burn songs to a CD, it looks as if it is going thru the process, but doesn't do it. XP and media player recognize the drives and I can play CD's or DVD's, just can't get the computer to remember that yes, these drives are capable of recording.

Also, when I put a blank CD-R into either drive they show under properties to be 'full' and have no space left on them, even though they are new. When I go to 'properties' on both drives, there is no 'recording' tab so I cannot 'enable' recording.

I have Googled around and here is what I have tried to do to fix it.
I used the Microsoft site's suggestion to edit the registry and change the drive values from 1 to 2 or 3. No help.
I made sure the IMAPI value in Admin Services was on 'automatic' and I force started it. No help.
I went back to the registry and deleted the high filters and low filters in the registry file related to the drives. No help.
I uninstalled the drives in device manager, logged off and logged on to reinstall, but they already had. No help.
I uninstalled the drives and immediately went to 'new hardware wizard.' It found them and installed them. No help.
I reinstalled Nero, my burning software. No help.
I went back to Microsoft's site and used the automatic 'Fix It' wizard, but it said both drives were not capable of recording (bogus, since I've burned I don't know how many CD's since I got this computer in mid 2007).
I probably forgot some stuff, since I have been at this all afternoon and evening, but I'm really frustrated.

Both drives were working great forever, so I guess when I installed those programs I mentioned earlier, it jacked up something. I don't think I've tried to burn any CD's since I got rid of both of those programs up until today, when I discovered the problem.

Thing is, I CAN'T remember which program had me change the 'record' or burn to feature. I think it changed it from the E: and D: drive to something else, but don't remember where or how.

Yeah, I know it was stupid to not write it down, and yeah I regret screwing with either program.

But I'd really like some help here, if anyone can!
I appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back