CD eject button needs driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vale46

Hi all, thanks for reading.

I have 2 packard bell Ixtreme pc's (x2613 and x6618) and i recently upgraded to Windows 7 ultimate 64bit on both, but in doing so i have lost the external cd eject button function. I can still eject from "my computer" or even stick a pencil behind the cd door and press the main eject on the units themselves but i would rather just use the proper button.
I have read that its a driver that is needed as its a usb based operation but i cant find any that work. Packard bell dont have support (what a supprise) and Gateway dont seem to know either.
Have anyone else had this problem and have you sorted it ?

Thanks for any help in any way.

Regards,

Vale.

Its a bit weird problem; and frankly the one I haven't heard in years now. Anyway, for the time being i can suggest you to use shortcuts on your desktop to eject/close the CD/DVD tray.

You can do this by downloading this nirmcd utility (at the bottom of the page. Please use the following instructions to create shortcuts for this purpose:

1. Right-click on the desktop or elsewhere and choose New Shortcut.

2. In the location box, type the full path to nircmd.exe that you downloaded (& unzipped), and append the “cdrom open” command to the end of it, also don't forget to adjust the drive letter to match your disc drive:, as illustrated here.

“C:\path\to\nircmd.exe” cdrom open D:

3. Rename the shortcut to Eject CD-DVD.

You can follow the same instructions to create a shortcut for closing the cd/dvd rom drive; just alter cdrom open for cdrom close.

Also you can assign any icons you want to, to these shortcuts.

For convenience you can also assign keyboard shortcuts to do this operation. I hope this will slightly improve your life :)

I will look for resolution of the actual issue, and if i find something meaningful i will get back to you ASAP. Regards

Thanks Archean, really appreciate your time. I did download the .exe but it wont work on a 64bit OS but not to fear.........

Packard Bell actually got back to me with a solution !!!!!!! yer, after saying thee was nothing they could do, i got home tonight with a second email with some drivers for vista that work YEY ;p

So i am sorted.

Thanks again mate. take care, Vale.

I have just read your reply to Archean.I have a similar problem with my Acer laptop. The laptop eject button will not operate and when depressed causes the laptop to freeze. I was thinking that there is a motherboard problem. The laptop is new and came loaded with VISTA. I prefer XP so I uninstalled VISTA and replaced it with XP. Did your computer act in this way?
jamesblu

As far as i am aware its a windows update that upsets things.... my vista stopped the eject button the same as W7 did.

Mail me at -

image-edit@hotmail.co.uk

And i will send you the files. they are too big to upload here ;p (2.5mb)

That goes for anyone finding it hard to find these drivers. i would gladly send you them, just head your mail "CD Drivers" so i know to check my junk mail too.

Vale

That's strange because it works fine for me on Win7x64 or WinXPx64. Anyway, I'm glad it is all sorted out for you and thanks for sharing information. Regards

Thanks Archean, really appreciate your time. I did download the .exe but it wont work on a 64bit OS but not to fear.........

Packard Bell actually got back to me with a solution !!!!!!! yer, after saying thee was nothing they could do, i got home tonight with a second email with some drivers for vista that work YEY ;p

So i am sorted.

Thanks again mate. take care, Vale.

same ixtreme 2613 issue, can you help please with driver location if possible, thanks in advance rob

Ok. i have posted these drivers out to countless people now and they work a treat so if anyone else needs them dont be afraid to mail me (address above) i dont check this thread here often so my personal mail address is where to ask. Thanks to all those who have replied with a thanks too, its nice there are people out there with manners still. ;)

Regards,

Vale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back