CD Projekt Red developer responds to death threats following Cyberpunk 2077 delay

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! News that Cyberpunk 2077 is to be delayed for a third time, albeit by only 21 days, disappointed many gamers eager to play CD Projekt Red's title. Sadly, the predictable backlash has included death threats against the game's developers, which senior game designer Andrzej Zawadzki has called "unacceptable," reminding angry commentators that "We are people, just like you."

It was earlier this week that the highly anticipated game was unexpectedly delayed from its November 19 date to December 10. The move has led to death threats against the team, prompting Zawadzki to tweet a response.

Death threats over delayed games isn't a new phenomenon. Back in 2016, No Man's Sky's developer Hello Games was inundated with similar attacks after the game was delayed by 49 days. In the case of Cyberpunk 2077, some of the anger stems from a tweet by the official Cyberpunk 2077 account on October 26, promising the game would arrive on schedule.

Some people say CD Projekt Red purposely lied to fans, but staff member Fabian Mario Döhla says that the delay wasn't known at the time. This backs up reports that claim all the developers found out about the postponement at the same time as the public, with CDPR sending an internal email simultaneously with the announcement tweet.

"Thing is: we are a public traded company and it's almost impossible to tell every employee beforehand, mainly because of legal reasons," Döhla said. "I'm aware of this (and used to it) but it can be super confusing for external people. Long story short: CP Twitter (and therefore our studio - as it's an official channel) did not lie on purpose."

Following the delay, CD Projekt's CEO Adam Kiciński said Cyberpunk 2077 would have been ready to launch on November 19 for PC and next-gen consoles, but more time was required to optimize the game for Xbox One and PlayStation 4 platforms.

Permalink to story.

Actually, this makes sense...gaming is an addiction and what do addictive people do to satisfy their addictions? Almost anything. I am happy for myself, since I didn't play a game in years now and I don't feel the need. But I did almost end up with an addiction for Rocket League.

Following the delay, CD Projekt's CEO Adam Kiciński said Cyberpunk 2077 would have been ready to launch on November 19 for PC and next-gen consoles, but more time was required to optimize the game for Xbox One and PlayStation 4 platforms.

Lol, talk about fanning the flames....That is absolutely what the more volatile parts of the PC gaming crowd don't want to hear right now.

At this point I think they should just shut up until the game is released.

Still waiting on the next gen cards anyways (hopefully there will be stock by then). Pretty dumb for people to lose their **** over a video game delay.

Heh...who would send death threats to a developer about a video game delay?? Oh, that's right. A 13-year old with raging hormones hiding behind the anonymity of a keyboard. The same reason I don't play MMO's or online shooters anymore.

I would also give the 20 and 30-something neck beards living in mom’s basement, and/or a decrepit apartment with nothing more to do than work fast food and play vidyuh games.

So, the Cyberpunk 2077 developers are people just like those who send them death threats? What a pity, I thought better of them.

Metro 2033 Redux and Metro Last Light Redux are on sale at GOG... take two and call your doctor in the morning.

Death threats over a videogame. Some people are just pathetic losers.

If anyone is displeased with the actions of any company, all he has to do is vote with his wallet.

Been waiting this long for the game, what's another 3 weeks?

Can we at least expect a bug/glitch free launch from this game by now?

Wish they'd just release it on PC as the game is ready, delay the console plebs, no one cares about them anyways.

Actually, this makes sense...gaming is an addiction and what do addictive people do to satisfy their addictions? Almost anything. I am happy for myself, since I didn't play a game in years now and I don't feel the need. But I did almost end up with an addiction for Rocket League.

Gaming can be but the same could be said of nearly anything.

Anyone who sends death threats should be made fun of relentlessly for being a loser dork on the internet. It is just game, why you have to be mad? People get so wound up over absolutely everything these days, some need to be laughed at relentlessly to figure out what they are doing is very stupid.

OTOH, are there reciepts for these death threats? You see this type of thing a lot, many times when a group or individual is under intense scrutiny they pull the "I got death threats/harassment/racist/sexist/ece comments!!!11!" card but we never actually SEE these comments. It's a fantastic way to get people to defend you against those calling you out, and is incredibly easy to fake.

At least IME most of the people claiming "death threats" are either lying or blowing the problem out of proportion I.E. they recieve one threat from someone clearly unhinged that threatens everyone they percieve as responsible for their life's slights and that gets spun as "death threats against person/group".

I agree with R00st3r, the best move for CDPR is to shut their gobs until the game is released.

Sums up how out of whack with reality the internet has turned the US. You can see it everyday in the crazy attitude to politics that now seems the norm. It's probably not as bas as it seems, but unfortunately these empty-bottles and the media make way the most noise drowning out normal reasonable people.

Sums up how out of whack with reality the internet has turned the US. You can see it everyday in the crazy attitude to politics that now seems the norm. It's probably not as bas as it seems, but unfortunately these empty-bottles and the media make way the most noise drowning out normal reasonable people.

It’s global, not just the US. Sadly the global standard of communication and debate has turned into a massive ad hominem with no regard for logic or decency.

It’s global, not just the US. Sadly the global standard of communication and debate has turned into a massive ad hominem with no regard for logic or decency.
It probably is global to a degree but the US seems the most extreme. Everything has become something to 'take sides on' and make a lot of noise at anybody with a different point of view to you. It's not just politics, it seeps down into the most basic things. For example on a tech site like this it's which console you prefer, which browser, which CPU manufacturer, which OS. I expect this has always been the case too, but the internet seems to be whipping easily lead individuals up into a frenzy. Taking a side, making noise and throwing stones at anybody not on your side is very easy. Having a nuanced view requires a little more intelligence.

Back