CD-ROM Boot Priority .. No Medium

i have a GateWay Fx6800-01e running home vista premium 64 bit with sp1, intel core i7-920 Quad-core processor, and a 750gb hard drive. this computer is over a year old and it was working fine last night never had a problem i woke up this morning and i got the message.

CD-ROM Boot Prioity .. No Medium
Reboot and Select proper Boot Device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

i looked on forums and evry ware i can think of for hrs on my laptop and i just cant fin a solution also my i cant use cds because it does not open when i hit the eject button its bin like this for month so i dont think this is the problem srry i cnt post sum pics because i dont have post count

if any one has any suggestions that would save me money from bringing it to the shop it would be greatly appreciated

Normally, when there is no medium in the CD/DVD drive the BIOS will go to the second device in the boot sequence. You might want to take the CD out of the boot sequence in the BIOS and make sure the drive the operating system is loaded is first in the list, might be a workaround for your problem.

Normally, when there is no medium in the CD/DVD drive the BIOS will go to the second device in the boot sequence. You might want to take the CD out of the boot sequence in the BIOS and make sure the drive the operating system is loaded is first in the list, might be a workaround for your problem.

im not sure how to change my sequence im in advanced Bios features and its says 1st Boot device [CD/DVD:p0-HL-DT-ST] then when i click that it says to ether disable it of it says CD/DVD:p0-HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH15F am in the wrong place to change my sequence ?

Are you actually able to get into Windows?

I would suggest opening up the case and making sure that all the plugs are connected properly on the motherboard and all HDs and CD/DVD drives.

Is your hard drive showing up in BIOS at all or is the only selection in the boot sequence the CD drive?

You might have a corrupted boot loader.

im not sure how to change my sequence im in advanced Bios features and its says 1st Boot device [CD/DVD:p0-HL-DT-ST] then when i click that it says to ether disable it of it says CD/DVD:p0-HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH15F am in the wrong place to change my sequence ?

It sounds like you're in the right place but moving devices up and down in the boot list varies by BIOS. For some you hit the + and - keys, others you hit enter and get a pick list and even others use function keys. But if you don't see a disk drive in the boot list you'll need to follow gwailo247's adivce.

Back